Cutting Exact Measurements

What is the best way to cut something that needs to be a specific length? And what is the best way to incorporate kerf into the equation? Thanks.

Kerf is material and settings dependent, so you will need to determine kerf for your particular item. Cut a one inch square out of your material. Measure the resulting item. It will probably be something like .993" x .993" (this is for 1/8" purpleheart that I cut). Subtract the actual from the 1." original. Divide by 2 and that is your kerf.

Here are some threads which may help: Search results for 'kerf' - Glowforge Owners Forum

5 Likes

How specific? Or perhaps how many digits specific. Wood will change size considerably based on the humidity. Acrylic will change with temperature.
I made these by setting the snap to make the marks. and continued past zero so there could be a line up. However, eyeball accuracy would be as good as I would expect from them.
If you want a really close fit, all the parts need to be made at the same time, and even then as the laser mark is wider at the top than the bottom inside pieces work better if flipped so the angle matches.

Finally, there is no law against making finer adjustments with a small file or sandpaper if the finished piece is a hair too big. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.