Cutting from the outside in

I agree it’s not hard to do, and it’s a common feature in other cutting software. But there are dozens of features you’d think someone could knock out in a day or two and it’s really unclear what the dev team is working on. Assuming there is a dev team.

5 Likes

Hmm, I tried a few ways to force it, none of them worked.

I made a series of concentric hexes, fill none, stroke red.

I cut the hexes on their upper left corners, joined them into one spiral, then removed the segments that linked the hexes. This made a single directional path that started from the inside and went out. The hexes are separate, but all part of the same path.

The UI decided to cut it from outside in.

I reversed the path.

The UI decided to cut from outside in.

I rotated the entire thing 180 degrees. This put the path breaks in the lower right corner. My thought is that it would maybe go for the “upper leftmost” path break (this would mean that the innermost hex would go first) and start there.

The UI cut from the outside in.

I reversed the path.

Outside in.

I placed a black shape inside the innermost hex. This would put the laser closest to the innermost hex.

GF cut the black shape first! … and then cut the hexes from the outside in.

At this point, I gotta think that whatever mojo GF is doing when the SVG is processed on load totally disregards your path structure and “optimizes”.

I’m back to colors as your best option, unfortunately.

2 Likes

LOL…That is what I have found when I have done the same thing . My last workaround? I made it flippable by cutting in half and mirroring the whole thing then when it is finished (the outside cut being first is before the warp and a good cut.) I take it out and flip it over and do a light cut from the other side. :smile:

At least you know I was not crazy (in that way anyway)

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback, @rbtdanforth. I’ve passed this suggestion on to the team. For now, I would advise designing to use different colors to control the order of your cuts. I apologize for any inconvenience.