Cutting Off Extra Wood

Hi,
I just finished my first project - well, almost. It’s a sign made from a jpg because I know how to do that and I don’t know how to use my Adobe Photoshop yet. There is quite a bit of extra wood around three sides. What;s the best way I can cut it off?
Thanks!

Assuming it’s too thick to laser cut… a table saw probably is a good choice.

1 Like

It’s medium draftboard.

Still a table saw. :smiley:

But if you want to laser cut it you will want to simply create a box in inkscape or illustrator or corel draw or ________________. Or whatever shape you want the sign. Then you can upload that in the GFUI. Move it to where you want… and cut.

3 Likes

Single line cut - Horizontal.ZIP (22 Bytes)

Straight line horizontal cut

2 Likes

You are better off including a cut line of a different color right in the design file.

7 Likes

That will get you started with inkscape.

As @PrintToLaser said. You should create the entire design including the engrave in one file. Then you cut and engrave in one job.

5 Likes

Yes, but I used a jpg and that will only engrave. GF should consider adding a feature where you can draw a cut line on your design. This is an indoor wall hanging, by the way.

2 Likes

I’ll disagree here, and say that this has been discussed to death on the forum. After a couple of years using it I am as convinced as ever that the GFUI should only be used for upload and basic positioning.

If you hunt around the forum for old discussions, you can see the arguments for both sides on this issue. You’ll just never get as accurate a result or an editor as fully-featured as you get in standalone interfaces.

There are a couple of very narrow cases where adding primitives after the fact might save you a little trouble. If you learn to use your editor properly, you can accommodate every use case.

12 Likes

For cutting, Inkscape is free and the learning curve varies based on your experience, but there are tutorials that will get you started.

In inkscape, you can Import an image that you want to engrave, so you can align the cut lines and image for etching and Save. It’s great for when you plan to make more than one!

Or you can create a simple SVG shape, upload that to the GFUI, and align it to the image uploaded separately in the GFUI to have the print run the cut and the etching in the same job.

With either method, I always prefer to etch first and then cut, since cutting can change the stress condition within the board, and sometimes what was flat pops up a bit…

And good tip is before you move the board, make sure the cut shape can wiggle, if so it’s a clean cut, if not, close the lid, ignore the etching, and run the cut again.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Her is a post that has the shapes you need. Just add them to your design with Add Artwork.

First unzip.

5 Likes

Have you completed the basic training/tutorials, that walk you thru examples that cover this exact thing?

3 Likes

I’m kinda trying to do everything at once. Thanksgiving is coming fast.

1 Like

I just downloaded Inkscape last night. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The GFUI is not a design application. And, personally, I don’t think it should ever try to be. I suspect it would fail miserably at being a design app. Mostly because design apps already exist. There’s no need to try and compete with them.

Think of the GFUI as nothing more than a (glorified) printer driver. You only use it when you’re ready to cut. That’s it. Everything else is done in your design app of choice.

Clearly you’re almost there though. A couple of small lessons to learn and you’ll be putting out everything you want!

4 Likes

This is a good way to do everything just slightly askew :wink: Whenever I rush the chances that I make a mistake that ruins a project go way up.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.