Inkscape - Workspace and Document Setup

Setting the Document Properties and Preferences in Inkscape.pdf (975.3 KB)

17 Likes

There is a way to set up a Glowforge specific template. The tutorial states:

“One very important thing to note is that if you wish to recreate the cutting bed of the Glowforge with your page in Inkscape, you will want to set a page size of 20 inches wide by 12 inches high under the Custom page size settings. There is no way to save it as a preset, so that needs to be recreated for each new document that you plan to use.”

Not entirely true. You can set up the document properties and then save the blank document as a new Glowforge template. In Windows you then put the Glowforge.svg template file in the folder

C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\templates

You can either open a new document with the Glowforge template from “New from Template”. Or you can rename the Glowforge.svg template to be “default.svg” and after that every new Inkscape document will use the new Glowforge template.

21 Likes

I have my default template set up with grids plus the guides are at the go/no go borders. Then I have some circles and squares of different colors all ready to go so I can begin with paths and not do any conversions and just get to it. Saves lots of time.

8 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=save+document+properties+in+inkscape&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS706US707&oq=save+document+properties+in+inkscape&aqs=chrome..69i57.13543j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

3 Likes

In case there are any Mac users out there looking for their Template directory:

/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/templates/

2 Likes

How did you setup the guides if I may ask?

You drag a guide line from the edge or top and then you can double click on it to set it exactly where you want. Set your document the way you want and save as a template as indicated above.

3 Likes

so annoyed. I have been toying with the tabbed box maker extension for Inkscape. It WAS working fine. Then I decided to set up default page to inches and 20x12" and now when I use the generator it places the box way outside the page and the line thickness is ridiculously large. What is up with that?

Have you checked the line thickness option and toggled it to hairline (epilog)?

Have you tried to toggle between the layout/style settings to see what happens there?

Have you double checked your unit settings?

That is strange. I’ll keep looking at the settings and see if I can find something that can go off. Go back to your defaults for the template and see if there is something else in Inkscape messing with it.

I just noticed that the document is not at 0,0 in the upper left corner, but rather 0,12" how do I fix this??

Have the same issue with the tabbed box extension. :expressionless: when I use inches the whole thing is way out of proportion. No idea why and I haven’t figured out the issue. Usually I just use MM’s for better outcome. I have tried some other boxes, one I found this one on here in last day or so: https://festi.info/boxes.py from this thread (Practical cuts). Good luck.

1 Like

The origin 0,0 in Inkscape is lower left, not upper left. Look below.

It is opposite of the Glowforge though. and that throws you off.