Cutting out card stock with minimum burn edges

I found out that the best setting for cutting out card stock with minimum burn edges is 180 speed / 10 power / 0.01 inch.

4 Likes

I think it depends on the thickness.
I use 400/full/.13

4 Likes

Great. I’ve moved this out of Problems & Support. Thanks for the info. But “card stock” isn’t a thickness. That weight varies pretty wildly. But this might give some folks a starting point for their particular card stock.

5 Likes

What weight card stock? What color? What brand? I think all of these are needed as my own experimentation has lead to four different settings depending on the material properties.

4 Likes

Its on ordinary card stock. I think its the 220/250 g/m2… I tried many settings on power over 10 but it leaves burn makes. I experimented on white because if it works on white it works on any color…

1 Like

I will try that setting. Is it 0.13 in?

I think the point of many here is there is not any “ordinary”, since card stock comes in so many different weights, thicknesses, colors, types of finishes (matte, glossy, textured, metallic…) that alas settings usually vary due to any of these variations.

But even then. matte white 220 from one brand may cut out fine, but buy it from another store/manufacturer, and you have to adjust settings to get the same result! (g/m2 is more to do with density, not the thickness, so the same thickness of a cardstock may need different settings if the g/m2 is different).

But also try increasing the speed–the slower the speed, the longer the beam is over the material and more chance for char/scorching. Sometimes going faster and with 2 or 3 passes will get a much cleaner result on a material.

5 Likes

What setting do you use to cut card stock 220/250 g?

Aaaand, I’m moving it to Beyond the Manual due to settings discussion.

3 Likes

Hi, for my cardstock I use for special business cards I found 450/50 or 450/60 has given me the best results. But this is metallic gold, dark slate & dark blue. And not sure how close it is to 220/250–the manufacturer I bought these from uses a different way to describe their paper (another aggravation with cardstock, there is not a universal way to describe the “weight”/thickness. But I’m sure it’s close to that since it’s heavier than what my printer works OK with for “heavy” which is about 170).

So all I can suggest is a starting point, and test, test, test. Likely lower power/higher speed and multiple passes is only way to avoid having char showing on white–and the more texture or less glossy it is, the more likely the soot will stick to it, too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.