Cutting Paper Advice?

“paper thin”… works for me!

3 Likes

I just did a project in 65lb cardstock and wish I had read this first. Maybe the Krylon adhesive or the tshirt treatment would have saved me a lot of trouble - I used a LocTite repositionable adhesive and it seemed like I had to get the amount of drying time perfect to get the paper to stick without getting irretrievably stuck. Too much drying and it would blow off during cutting; too little and the thin parts would break before releasing. I had about 30 sheets to cut for the project so I resprayed every other sheet or so, and I think build up started to be a problem toward the end.

However I do think I may have come upon a better choice for the base - the local home store had 13"x13" ceramic tiles with a matte surface on clearance for .49 each. Nice and flat, no chance of warping! Then again, maybe the porosity of the plywood/mdf helps to get the tack just right.

If you use a Seklema mat to secure the paper, does the laser cutting through the paper degrade the surface of the mat?

1 Like

Eventually I’m sure it would, but they’re designed to last a long time…and they’re designed to use specifically with the types of things we are cutting…like paper. I have one, too. They are also useable on both sides, which extends their use considerably.

5 Likes

Yes but, not as quickly as a lot of people fear.

2 Likes