D-Link camera for monitoring my GF

Oh my gosh…how did you ever find that? :joy:

The reviews for this on Amazon are subpar. Seem to imply that you cannot use Chrome or Firefox to view the live video stream. Is that true? :sunglasses:

Don’t know yet, but I have to use an IE extension on my Chrome browser to view the cameras for my Amcrest system since they did away with NPAPI too, so I imagine I can work around it. (It is a bit of a pain in the tush.)

Would be really nice if any of them updated once every three years or so.

1 Like

It works fine in Chrome, but not Firefox. (The still picture I posted in from the live video viewed in Chrome.)

1 Like

Google baby monitor and you are as likely to find exotic pet stores as camera shops.

1 Like

My personal favorite right now is Wyze Cam, most bang for the buck. https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-v2/ for a fixed and https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam-pan/ for a pan tilt.

Cheaper on their web site than Amazon, but they won’t ship outside the US for free…

3 Likes

Another vote for Wyze; I use one to monitor my 3d printer during long jobs (I’m one of those people that insists on remaining within arm’s reach of the laser when it’s cutting). It’s a quick easy camera, and the app is competent.

1 Like

Would you folks be kind enough to let me know the minimum focus distance for those cameras? Like, how close can you get before text gets blurry, etc? I need a cheap, movable wi-fi camera for various things including the Glowforge and the ability to focus on close-up objects would be a very nice addition.

They are both 1080p, and have 8x digital zoom. 15 days free cloud storage and Micro SD card local storage (card extra $10)

Here are the specs for the PAN: https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam-pan/specs/ @$29

Specs for V2 : https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/specs/ @$19

Photos are about 8" away, not bad from my perspective given the intended purpose of the cameras…

2 Likes

@bkressley @martin.anderson: I have all three WyzeCam models (v1, v2 and pan). Great value, easy to setup and use, excellent camera resolution, BUT…

As you know, one can only view images using a mobile device using the Wyze “app” (e.g., Android phone) and NOT with a PC using a Web browser. In the case of a Glowforge being able to open a browser window to monitor the laser cutting would be ideal. [sigh]

One day (I hope) the Wyze folks will listen to us and fix that! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is the dlink at about 1.5 to2 inches away. 34400734_2018-10-13_12-43-01

About 4" away
34400734_2018-10-13_12-42-31

2 Likes

That looks like a good deal for $20. It’d be nice if they get it working on a PC though, I need a big screen.

1 Like

To me given all the other features, smoke detector alerts, tracking, two-way mike speaker, zones for the Pan. Browser integration was low on my list. I have android/iPhone devices all over the place. IFTTT integration was important / Alexa less so. The app is feature rich, they keep innovating and they wrote their own firmware from scratch.

I monitor a young puppy with motion and sound alerts, the ability to scold her from the camera is priceless :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @kittski and @bkressley!

2 Likes

If you have a miracast enabled monitor (or adapter), you can cast your Android app image to the large monitor.

1 Like

I use my iPad with Wyze cam a fair amount. Somewhat bigger than a phone.

If only I could convince someone to send me a free IPad so I could check it out :rofl:

1 Like

They have android 10-1\2" screens in the $30 dollar range. I paid $34 for one that you could supposedly use as a phone as well but have not found a carrier to use it with though theoretically I could have two different phones on the one tablet.

Looking on Wish I see one for $45 that is like mine. Even if not latest tech (probably why the phones part does not work) it is still the tablet I use most.

1 Like

If you have an older smartphone, just set it up on wifi and use any number of video chat apps to call yourself on another device.

I’m an iPhone guy and have several older models that still work just fine. Another great use, for example, on a trip thru Italy last year, I loaded up Google Maps with offline (cached) maps of the areas and specific destinations we were going to explore, and used that phone as our GPS…

2 Likes

Link plz, I have many uses for an inexpensive screen like that!