Dad, I have a surprise for you

My youngest son loves to surprise me and today he outdid himself. I actually got my GF from him after he lost interest in it. So for the last 3 or so years he has watched me have fun creating lasered goodness and I guess thinks he wants to join in the fun again. I had to be out of town this morning and he called asking how to use my tractor and front loader because he had a surprise for me when it got home.

It weighs 794 lbs… I sure hope its weather proof! :sweat_smile:

41 Likes

That is a big surprise!

14 Likes

da**. how big is the bed on that thing? wattage?

11 Likes

What a cool surprise. I wonder if it comes with a “Daddy Do” list? Hopefully, he plans to come play with you too. Crafting together is a great bonding experience.

14 Likes

you’re going to need a bigger boat house.

19 Likes

That really is something! Your son indeed loves you!

10 Likes

24" by 40"
100 watt

16 Likes

some serious **** there. very nice. that’s bigger and more powerful than the universal my office uses to build models.

12 Likes

WOW!!! That’s an amazing surprise! How awesome - what a thoughtful son. I hope he joins you for some fun projects :smiley:

12 Likes

There’s an adventure! And once you get it inside, You can set it up! :grin:

11 Likes

Wow!!! Congratulations! That’s amazing, but really hope you have a lot of space to enjoy this.

9 Likes

That’s so cool man, I’ve noticed my son doing essentially the same thing - He gave me a 3-D printer trying to give me something to engage with, and keep this interesting.
Beautiful machine, so the education continues. Have fun!

10 Likes

I upgraded from 2GF to the 30 x 100 inch 100 watt. Brilliant bit of kit.

Step 1: Make a jig for the bottom left corner so you always know where the laser origin is.

I had to hire a team of men and take a wall out to get it installed though!

15 Likes

I upgraded my Glowforge Plus to an OMTech AF2028-80watt a year ago and have never looked back! (it was the biggest that would fit inside my tiny shop!)
Even with the upgraded Chiller and air assist, it was cheaper than a new Glowforge.

9 Likes

Now that’s a surprise!! Hope you find a place for it and get installed easily!

6 Likes

0.0000001 gigawatts!

15 Likes

Now that is a very pleasant surprise @ovm.steve. Congratulations!
I look forward to what you create with it, and hope you keep coming to the forum after you graduate to the Omtech.

6 Likes

I’m still a GF fanboy and will never leave. It’s just another tool in my tool bag… even carpenters have more than one hammer.

14 Likes

Wow! What’s next father of the year! Big love there!

6 Likes

After 7 steps up, 30 feet across the deck, through the house, 16 steps down to the basement and another 30 feet to its final resting spot, it has been set up and is operational. I haven’t tried using it yet but my son has played with it a lot. There is a significant learning curve as it runs through Lightburn.

9 Likes