Dallas Cowboys

Hello everyone.
My husband made the Dallas Cowboys Stadium sign. He got inspired by one online and said he can make it. What do you think? Also we have to fix up the file but we are thinking about selling the file.

27 Likes

It looks great. You may run into copyright issues though if you try to sell the file.

9 Likes

Very nicely done. As already stated, unless you have licenses from the NFL or Dallas Cowboys do not market the sign.

5 Likes

That looks amazing!

2 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

Thank you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Nice job!

Looks great my dad would flip for something like this!

Being Dallas fans, that looks awesome! But yeah, I agree with the others that you shouldn’t sell it because of copyright issues.

1 Like

Hello.
So we decided to sell the file without the cowboys symbol. You would have to add it on top in the software part…

Thanks -Kellie

2 Likes

Looks great!

I wonder…none of those words are individually copyrightable, nor are stars by themselves. So I wonder if you can include all the laments and extras that people could use. Not laid out, perhaps individual files, like one for Dallas, one for cowboys, cowgirls, stars, etc.

I don’t know a thing about copyrights but seems like that wouldn’t be the criteria…like Sesame Street…Sesame nor Street would be copyrightable on their own…but, put them together…

1 Like

Right, but including a bunch of words not designed as “Dallas Cowboys” shouldn’t be but as individual files for each word can’t be illegal. What a person does with them after they buy them is on them. For example, I can put together a file with a bunch of city/state names and it can’t be copyright material. Same with other words/names like Indians, braves. Supreme Court has ruled individual words can’t be copyrighted. the look of the words, if they have a special stylization can be trademarked. Or if it is used to identify a product, such as coca-cola. Or I believe I am remembering it from my trademarks class in my legal assistant course. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Very obvious you know more than I and it wouldn’t take much since I know nothing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Correct. And all that applies here. The “Dallas Cowboys” “America’s Team” and the star shown all are part of the Dallas Cowboys’ trademarks. Context matters and those words in the context of the stadium and in the style presented would suggest to the average person that it is the NFL team called the Dallas Cowboys being referenced and in using the styling that was used, it would be reasonably assumed the material was produced by, or at the request of, the NFL Dallas Cowboys team. It also would be reasonable to assume that the producer was representing the NFL Dallas Cowboys team. So, if any harm comes from its use, then that harm could be ascribed to the team inappropriately as the material was not actually produced by or for them.

On top of that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the design of the stadium weren’t protected intellectual property - anything from trademark, copyright or even a design patent could apply. It’s unlikely the architects would want that to be public domain in the event some other team wants a stadium like that.

4 Likes

Agreed. My question would be about the lists, and graphics that could be distributed, but not in the design of any copyright, patent or trademark. But as offered, it would violate the IP.

Courts generally take a dim view of attempting to circumvent the laws by what they consider tricks intended to only get around the rules - not because they’re necessary to the integrity of the piece. So having the stadium, the star and the words even in another order or not placed contiguous would likely be assumed to be set up that way only to get around the law and proof of knowledge of the illegal act (thus eliminating the “but I didn’t know” defense). An Etsy listing of the original would probably just get asked to be taken down. One with the components randomly arranged would probably get legal attention because proof of intent would be a layup and thus easier to obtain statutory judgement.

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

May I buy this file?