Damascus Steel printed

The knife blade dips down so I assume the focal point made it not laser that part. Same goes for the kitchen knife, it was propped up but apparently not level. Something to work on…

33 Likes

I though the cameras can detect curves and levels? Or was the introduction video fake?

2 Likes

That’s beautiful! The pattern and color are striking. I get that the (unintentional) fade out is not what you were going for, but it’s a cool effect IMO.

2 Likes

Beautiful effect. (Looks just like the ones I paid for.) :grinning:

3 Likes

That part of the software has not been released yet.

6 Likes

Not fake, just hasn’t been fully implemented yet.

5 Likes

Thank God I was hoping I was wrong

2 Likes

Fantastic, can I ask how you prepped the steel first, and if and how you used a jig so you get and edge to edge cut?

1 Like

Alcohol wipes to clean the metal and then there light coats of Dry Moly Lube. As far as a jig, I just used some cardboard to prop up the blade so it sat somewhat level. I used Photoshop to skew the image shape to somewhat fit the blade and let it run over a little in all directions.

4 Likes

It actually does curves quite well. I ran a test earlier ( Testing curved thick material ) using 2" round stock.

2 Likes

Very cool Kyle! I just received my Glowforge! I look forward to combining crafts and passions. Its hard to explain to people just what a Glowforge can do. Sometimes it is best to just show them. If it doesn’t move too fast, and it fits in my Glowforge, then it is fair game!!

Rich

3 Likes

Thank you, it was fun to do. Next I’ll go slower so it sticks. So far the burned on Dry Moly Lube has come off partially.