So after printing the required founders ruler, I wanted to test a custom file I created for a circular frame that fits together in 8 pieces. Since I named my GF Rogue One, I thought it fitting to create a Star Wars Themed frame as my first official project. I drew this up earlier this week while waiting for the GF to arrive. Please note that I have never used a laser cutter before, and understand the concepts in theory. I do have an old vinyl cutter, so I’m not complete greenie when it comes to vector files. I have, however, never had to deal with Kerf, so I thought this would be a great way to dive right in.
I definitely need to get a caliper so I can figure out the Kerf thing. There is a bit of play in these pieces, but since I’ve never done this before, I’m pretty happy with the initial cut. I will tweak this file eventually in Illustrator. I did guess and build in a 0.008 offset on each connector, but it didn’t really work out as I had hoped.
The proofgrade material is great, but I’ll need to find some cheaper alternatives for testing. I had done a few test cuts using draft board, but the one pictured is using Maple ply. Of course I’ll need to make a back for this, and maybe a stand. Lesson learned: Make sure these is a bigger border between the cut line and anything that s being engraved. I made mine too small. I’ll break out the cardboard this weekend. Here is the top layer of the frame assembled.
This thing is going to be awesome! (The GF)