What a crazy day at Maker Faire in NYC. We were mobbed all day (which is good) but actually so mobbed I didn’t get to do the live making which we planned to do (I did some forging which worked great, but haven’t even opened my Dragon Skin silicone provided by Reynolds Advanced (who sent some folks over to see our work)). Nicely as part of the GF grant they had a special WiFi network which was reliable so didn’t have any apparent problems. Met @Dan and @Bailey which was a treat (and even met Dan’s wife who is very nice as well). I also got to meet @Tom_A and his son (who seemed somewhat interested in cardiac surgery simulators), along with @markevans36301 dropping by (he’s down the aisle from us nearer the GF booth) and @karaelena dropping by (sorry it was so crazy couldn’t get much of a chance to talk) .
So while not as cool a story as @Dan’s violin bridge story, I looked down at the table today and in my comically naive plan to actually cast silicone in the booth, I realized I was missing a critical mold (which was 3D printed). And I said, hey while I don’t have a 3D printer in the booth (after the nylon incident) but I do have a Glowforge, a quick trip into OnShape to figure out the parts to export and bam, cut it in Blue acrylic which I stacked to form the mold. Worked perfectly (fits a previously molded part so I know it will work) (it’s a bit shallower but that’s not an issue - luckily I had thrown in some acrylic glue in my toolkit.
The booth was mobbed from 10-6 with basically no slow periods. It looked like this all day (and we were demonstrating cardiac surgery stuff!) my voice is so hoarse. I did bring a PA system, probably should use it!
And I can’t thank @Dan and @Bailey enough for the mid afternoon water and ice cream (Dan has strange taste in ice cream treats - that was pretty crazy!) it was a life saver (and thanks Bailey for the spoons!). Alex and I were joking that since we hadn’t peed since 7am that by hospital standards we met nursing “trigger” criteria that we were potentially becoming critically ill…
The only interesting problem I had (not really a problem but an issue I noted) was the 2 first sheet of Draft Board I pulled out of the box has razor slashes in them (clearly a box at manufacturing had been opened by a razor knife) so Rachel from support is addressing that (always handy to have folks from GF wandering by to check on things), since this is the non-cosmetic part of my build it didn’t matter at all, but if that happened to acrylic that would be a problem. Draft board is much harder to get the masking off of, which was slowing me down, but grips super well with CA glue.