Death Star ornament just in time for Rogue One

Ran across this Instructable today… Nice minimalist design for 3mm ply.

Use the 'forge, Luke!

40 Likes

ooooohh ahhhh… love it

4 Likes

Love the style of this. Thanks!

3 Likes

very cool. Wish I was going tonight to see it but my boys have their winter Band concert, so we’re going tomorrow…and Sunday…and probably a few more times over the next couple of weeks :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Been looking for something to mark the occasion, thought of an acrylic death star. Have been working with the MDF so this looks good!

7 Likes

Yes! I love it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I would love to see this in acrylic.

Report back on test: Design will need reworking for Glowforge ProofGrade. The Maple plywood is just a smidge too thick for the slots as designed. Acrylic is too thin.

6 Likes

Drats…

So, I wonder if simple scaling of the whole pattern would work in this case? In other words, measure the material thickness, divide by 3mm (assumed thickness in original pattern), then scale by that factor.

Wouldn’t always work, but I seem to remember someone mentioning using the thickness as the base unit for patterns.

(By the way, I’m just thinking “out loud” here - not suggesting more tests!) :wink:

5 Likes

Ooooh, thanks for sharing!! I have a friend who is super obsessed with Star Wars…can’t wait until I can send her a package filled with stuff like this!

2 Likes

This sounds like an opportunity for a cool feature. Tag some cut colors as “slots” and scale them based on provided material thickness.

2 Likes

I’ll be making one or two of these for my nephews :smile:

1 Like

not nearly as sexy, but last year I made some Death Star ornaments using black acrylic. The eps file I made is available as a free download:

http://www.ponoko.com/show/free-eps-files/preview-and-add/deathstar-ornaments-13609

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Your link didn’t work for me, but I found it at

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/deathstar-ornaments-13609

3 Likes

I love this! We just saw the Star Wars Costume exhibit at the Denver Museum of Art, and now I’m so excited. I think is one Christmas ornament my Jewish husband wouldn’t mind having in the house. :grinning:

4 Likes