December is just around the corner - WHO'S EXCITED?

your room is beautiful like wow that looks like a magazine shoot

3 Likes

Holy guacamole Regina! That is so organized! (Iā€™m impressed.)

(We met briefly on the Gazelle forum, assuming you are reasterā€¦i was Jules there too.)

4 Likes

thanksā€¦

1 Like

HI Jules, yes that is meā€¦thanksā€¦so what are you planning on making with your machine?

1 Like

thank you

1 Like

thanksā€¦

1 Like

Ohhhhhā€¦all kinds of stuff. :wink:
(Put a handful of freebies into the Free Designs section, you can take a look at them there.)

(Iā€™ve been playing with 3D printing and design since Phyllis died and the Gazzy sales tanked. Terri can easily handle the Gazzy forum solo, and since she was getting a smidgen of income from it, I moved on to other things.)

Like lasersā€¦chuckle.

6 Likes

Wow! Dream Craft Studio Space!

1 Like

So whatā€™s the difference / advantage between a Gazelle and a Silhouette?

3 Likes

Whew! Not an easy question nowadays, since I think the Silhouette has come out with some larger models that do pretty much what the Gazelle didā€¦

Few years back, there was one heck of a battle to capture the craft cutter market. For several years, the Gazelle won a large part of that battle, because it could cut thicker and heavier materials than the smaller Silhouette and Wishblade cutters, which could only be used on paper and vinyl. It could also cut a full 12 inch wide border for scrapbooks, which made it popular. (The Silhouette SD could only cut 7.5 inches wide.)

The Gazelle held on to the market for a while, but Silhouette did something that enabled them to capture the market completelyā€¦they created good proprietary design software that could read some of their competitorā€™s files, and they gave that away for free, and then they absolutely flooded the market with inexpensive designs for sale.

They won.

Is the Gazelle a better built cutterā€¦absolutely. Does it matterā€¦nope.

If you know how to design your own files, the Gazelle is a better choice, because I can even cut through thin wood with it. (Clay. Plastics. All papers. Chipboard. Fabrics.)

But Silhouette took the market for ease of use, and a lower price. Not everyone wants to be a designer, they just want to cut things out for their scrapbooks. And they donā€™t want to pay twice as much for it.

(Probably more information than you wanted.)

7 Likes

Thanks! My daughter had an old Cricut with that not-good proprietary software. We just got her a Cameo for Xmas last year and she is loving it. Just wanted to make sure we werenā€™t missing out on something more fun to play withā€¦ Glowforge excludedā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, with a Glowforge sheā€™ll easily be able to handle the stuff that the Cameo wonā€™t, so youā€™re good to go! :smile:

2 Likes

Well sheā€™s going to have to pry my fingers off the Glowforgeā€¦ not sure how easy it will be the first couple of weeks.

3 Likes

The cutthroat craft cutting competition confused creative craft cutting consumers.

13 Likes

Completely. :wink:

2 Likes

Easy for you to say.

3 Likes

OH MY, I didnā€™t know Phyllis diedā€¦she was the one that helped a lot with the gazelle rightā€¦what happenedā€¦so do that still sell the machineā€¦i still use my a lot among other machines

1 Like

thanksā€¦

2 Likes

Noā€¦Phyllis Parkins was one of the owners. (aka: Mrs. Bosskut.) She died unexpectedly after a surgery in late 2013. (threw a clot at home a few days later)

Terri is still thereā€¦sheā€™s a moderator. We were who you dealt with back then. :slight_smile:

And I donā€™t think they still sell the machinesā€¦John was planning to offload the remaining inventory a year or so ago and not buy another shipment.

(I need to give Terri a call and find out whatā€™s going on with her now.)

Update: They still have a few left of that remaining inventory. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind thoughts! Weā€™re working hard but keeping it together. The amazing folks on this forum inspire us. (Literally - we regularly share forum posts internally as inspiration for the team).

By the way, be sure to put your Glowforge on a hard surface, as the towels would obstruct the vents.

9 Likes