Decided to try Edge-Lit acrylic

Purchased some nightlights from Amazon and gave it a try. Of course, I’m a nerd, so the Falcon was my first choice. It beat out the TARDIS.

51 Likes

Turned out awesome :slight_smile: love the falcon

3 Likes

This looks great!!

2 Likes

You could have both, just sayin’… :grin:

4 Likes

Ooooo…I HAVE two of those nights lights and never thought of that… Off to the laser!

3 Likes

… and now you’re hooked. The fluorescent acrylic is a fav for edge-lit.

4 Likes

Looks great. I made some of them with pictures of my Yorkie. They are very popular. I like your star trek ones a lot.

4 Likes

Looks great! Edge-lit programs are always a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Nailed It! Nice!

1 Like

Star WARS

2 Likes

And goodnight.

5 Likes

Give him pointy ears and he could be a hog warts hobbit Jedi!

1 Like

Plenty of time to get over and make a TARDIS next though, am I right? :grin:

1 Like

Did you engrave on the acrylic that came with the light or did you replace it and use another clear acrylic? I bought some off Amazon but had to switch it out for 1/4 clear and it doesn’t seat into the switch without gluing it into the plastic switch.

I used Proofgrade thick acrylic. I spent a lot of time designing the part of the acrylic that you can’t see inside the nightlight. It’s held in place by three screws. I was able to simplify the shape, but I measured a lot of tiny items with calipers to do it.

The top is the original piece that came with the light. Beneath is a plywood proof of concept of the shape I am using for my designs. It works just fine.

3 Likes

Turned out really well. Good job!

1 Like

Shoot. You could have saved a bit of time. One of my first projects with a Glowforge was for these night lights.

There are so many posts, you’d be surprised at what you might find already there.

Nice execution.

2 Likes

I guess my mother has been right all these years. “If there are a thousand ways to do something,” she says, “you’ll find the most difficult, and go with it.”

I read a lot of edge lit posts, but somehow missed yours. I love some of the design ideas in the post, and I will be gratuitously stealing them. :grinning:

If you don’t mind my asking… Did you ever find out if the original inserts were acrylic or polycarbonate?

1 Like

Polycarbonate is what I came up with.