Decorative Inlay for Appliance Garage

My Uncle helped me replace an old roll-up appliance garage door in my kitchen, and surprised me with an interchangeable 1/4 inch panel on the front, so I HAD to make this seasonal panel, since I now live in Michigan, surrounded by Blue and Green fans.

First attempt at doing inlay. All worked out nicely. No glue, and only one piece needed to be sanded down a bit. Materials are 1/4in Birch from HD, and Rowmark ColorHues Glitter Cast Acrylic.

Can’t wait to do other designs to swap out throughout the year!

45 Likes

Outstanding. Love your interchangeable idea.

7 Likes

Very nice.

7 Likes

Stellar job, that turned out beautiful!

6 Likes

That is awesome for your first attempt at inlays. I still struggle with making inlays fit well and I’ve done a lot more than one. Your Uncle’s idea for the interchangeable panel was just kindling for your inspirational fire. Can’t wait to see what you do. Please share when you make another.

7 Likes

Thank you @rappee25407 ! It’s kind of exhilarating when everything is clicking into place without much fuss. (I definitely printed some test pieces to figure out the kerf, which I will thank everyone on the forum posts for suggesting) I will absolutely post more as I create them.

7 Likes

It looks incredibly elegant! I’m looking at my kitchen panels with whole new eyes now…

3 Likes

What a great idea!!

2 Likes

Looks great, Love the glitter acrylic!

OH!

3 Likes

Go Bucks!

2 Likes

Good thing you didn’t use THE Ohio State. Although I’m sure they have copyrighted the whole image, etc.

2 Likes

The interchangeable panel is a wonderful concept. Of course, your work made it an incredible finish.

1 Like