Decoupage with saran wrap, wrapping paper or napkins, and wood

Hello,
I have just learned about a process to decoupage with saran wrap to adhere napkins or wrapping paper to wood. Is it safe to cut the wood after it has been masked?
Thank you,
Barbara

1 Like

You have to carefully check the exact brand and product you’re planning to use. Some food wrap films are made of PVC which is definitely not safe to laser cut.

5 Likes

It sounds great! My parents put dried leaves on freezer paper with glued on tissue to cover the French windows to the backyard that made them look like Soji screens. Do you have a link to your system?

I would think freezer paper or waxed paper would eliminate the PVC possibilities.

2 Likes

This is the video (skip around because it is long) that got me down the rabbit hole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYIta18CCo

1 Like

Very interesting! Apparently, she is actually using the cling wrap as a binding agent so that is a critical part of the idea. I do think that the concept would work well after the Glowforge is finished and that might be a good way to go. I was thinking of how I could make colored boxes, and Ironing the colors on after the box is cut out just as she is using precut shapes, then you could assemble the shapes together.

1 Like

Yikes!

Plastic wrap in the United States is made of polyvinyl chloride or PVC and contains a “plasticizer” called di(2-ethylhexyl)adipateor DEHA. DEHA is not a phthalate but is chemically very similar to the phthalate DEHP, which is di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate).

I would definitely apply after cutting with the laser! What the woman did not do was use small Exacto blades, or needle files to clean up tight areas. which I would definitely use.

1 Like

I found a wikipedia article that said Saran Wrap and Glad Wrap are both made of polyethylene Saran (plastic) - Wikipedia

Is polyethylene safe to cut with the Glowforge?

Aside from being a fire risk polyethylene is safe. But I would watch it like a hawk in case of flames.

The WalMart brand seran wrap I have says PVC right on the box.
It’s several years old. I don’t use it much.

Edited - it’s called “premium film”… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We have had some horrible photos of Glowforges a while after they had cut one piece of PVC. They look like they had been dumped in the ocean for a couple of years minus the barnacles.