Deep laser engraving

Jaffa kree.

3 Likes

One of the nicest guys we’ve met at a Comic-Con. Made me miss the show terribly.

2 Likes

I also love the fact that your family is all wearing VERY geeky shirts! Well done sir!

Hitchhikers, Dr Who, and I think Shield? not too great with small partial symbols.

Teal’c’s shirt could be many things.

3 Likes

Geek is what we do best!

2 Likes

To be honest, I’ve been meaning to, but haven’t gotten around to it because I’ve usually been stupidly busy making stuff to sell at aforementioned comic conventions.The life of the self employed is not a glamorous one, I’m afraid.

7 Likes

Yeah but you get to make your own hours.

Pick any 23 of the 24 available. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would never have labelled self-employment as glamorous. Satisfying, fulfilled, wild ride - Yes.

Barely survived the Technology Bubble Burst of the late 90’s, but was able to direct my skills to projects clients needed to have done. I do know that being self-employed translates into “no worky, no money” and getting to see both sides of the employee/employer relationship and bearing total responsibility for taxes, insurance and other “only my butt on the line” responsibilities, really provides a unique perspective.

Being patently unemployable (after 25 years of self-employment), does make it hard to go to work for another.

7 Likes

laughs By which you mean work any 23 of the 24 available, right? :wink:

4 Likes

I was very lucky this spring to find a company after 3 years who not only needed my specialized graphic design training (FDA regulated parts of labels), but who was also willing to take me on knowing that I am unlikely to ever give up my own company. So, you know, I do both, because makers aren’t the sanest bunch, but we are the most colourful.

6 Likes

Ok. Since this topic has been officially off the rail for some time, I will give my perspective. First, I love what I do and am very happy and will continue it; however, it so rankles me that with all the rules and regulations of the church I work for and requirements about where I live, where I work, and how I live my life,

The Federal Government still requires me to file income tax as self-employed. Go figure!

However, I can’t complain. I get to spend way to much time on this forum on a day like today when I should be working and no one is going to fire me!

7 Likes

you bet. I’ve found it’s easier to pick out the one I’m not going to work :smile: more efficient that way.

People who haven’t worked for themselves see the “romance” of not working for someone else but rarely understand how it’s so easy never to be not working. Sometimes I would have to pick which 28 of the 24 hours I’d be working :slight_smile:

The only way it gets worse is by hiring staff - then you’re responsible for everyone’s mortgage, not just yours.

But it is nice not needing to have giant group grope meetings where everyone pontificates to make a simple little decision. As long as the voices in my head were in sync, I was good to go. :wink:

10 Likes

Sanity??? What is that? :flushed:

2 Likes

I started my own business because I was having trouble finding a position elsewhere that would let me bring my dog to work.
Being able to take advantage of midweek snowdays doesn’t hurt… I should take advantage of that more often.

10 Likes

I take my dog to work every Monday. It’s become a ritual now that most people come and play ball with Roscoe when he first arrives… If I miss coming in on a Monday I get quizzed by everyone - I am sure they are more interested in Roscoe than me!

6 Likes

… and, I’m out of likes. Having worked for myself I found that the work, 23/24, was never a problem it’s all the other stuff that goes along with the work and the pressure it puts on relationships. Took a look at your site, it’s what I used to do, and spotted …

Apologies, just my OCD getting the better of me.

5 Likes

That’s not a mistake, it is how the self employed perceive how the months go when trying to get the billing out and the taxes paid. :weary:

5 Likes

Hah. WordPress plug-ins. It’s because my last blog post was in September… and then the November before that, apparently. I really ought to have my business’s Facebook posts go through my site again…

4 Likes

You might consider putting them on the blog first, then using something like Buffer to schedule the posts into your various social media accounts. I really like buffer and used it a lot when I was doing less freelancing.

3 Likes

Yeah, I did that when I had the webcomic. It became part of that “I don’t have time to eat or sleep” conversation.

1 Like

This is actually the work week scheduling for Wawa out here on the east coast. Looked at those kinds of calendars a lot when making the schedule.

1 Like