Defocused Acrylic Engrave - just do it

This is why I continue to read the forums. Stuff like this that wld take me ages to figure out on my own, thx so much for sharing your findings @takitus. Is there a difference in length of time, if any, between focused(?) and defocused cuts?

9 Likes

It was just the engrave that was done unfocused, but there wasn’t any time difference at all. Just a big difference in surface quality =)

7 Likes

That is really amazing!

This is going to be a stupid question, I’m sure, but would this help other materials such as wood? I assume it works for acrylic because it melts, but could defocusing on wood give a smoother, more even burn too?

5 Likes

It could potentially help as the defocusing of the beam would cause it to have a larger spot size which would cause the ablated areas of each pass to overlap. I haven’t tried it but I think it could potentially work.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a far nicer result than usual. I’ve always been pretty uninspired by acrylic engraving because of the resulting texture so this is great to see!

3 Likes

Does it make any noticeable difference to the edges of the engrave? Technically it should slightly increase the kerf and round off the edges but I don’t think you’d notice in practice

3 Likes

Thanks for asking that…exactly what I wanted to know, as well.

4 Likes

Wow! What a difference! Thanks for this post. I’m just dying to get my Pro model, but these posts help so much.

2 Likes

it really is an absurd difference; nice find.

1 Like

How did you arrive at 0.433" ? Is that the highest it will go? I thought that would be 0.5".

2 Likes

Yes, the tips, tricks, ideas, troubleshooting and then posts where to source materials are incredibly helpful. Plus lots of fun banter. One of the best forums out there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Holy cow, what a difference!! Thanks for sharing the results…a defocused engraving is something I’ve only ever done accidentally :joy:

4 Likes

Awesome! Any issues due to the larger spot size?

1 Like

The manual focus and height levels can only be set to that at maximum currently. I am unsure how far the autofocus will go as there is no readout for that, but have engraved/cut thicker items than .433".

5 Likes

None at all! If it was really too much of an issue you could always run a score around the edge of the engrave to clean it up a bit

4 Likes

That’s a surprising, but very exciting, difference. Thanks, as always, for sharing your tests!

1 Like

Could you do a vector around the edges?

That’s really amazing (and a lot like the engraves we’ve seen on other machines – maybe the GF optics are just too good? :slight_smile:)

It’s interesting that this is considered defocused engraving when the result is so much better. I would consider this proper focused engraving. hahaha.

4 Likes

Yes it is actually pocketing by raster engraving, so you want a flat base and don’t need a high LPI.

If you wanted fine detail then you might want sharper focus and higher LPI.

Discord doesn’t like Rocky Horror jokes I guess, because it asked me to put in a complete sentence. :stuck_out_tongue:

THREE
MORE
TRIANGLES

5 Likes