Delays, delays, delays

Yes, it still applies, however from peoples experiences on line it has averaged for many people 6 to 8 days for their shipment tracking email after replying to their golden ticket email. So I’m hoping the same applies to me. And also for us that live in the central part of California you may get your shipment before you get your tracking email.

1 Like

Just a reminder to sign up for UPS My Choice and go into the notification preferences and check all the boxes.

More detail here:

1 Like

That’s more of a best case situation, not average. Historically the average has been closer to three weeks.

Also, don’t count on getting a tracking number from Glowforge. UPS My Choice is a safer bet.

1 Like

yeah, i don’t think 6-8 days is anywhere close to standard. you may get that lucky, but i wouldn’t “worry” if you aren’t that lucky. there were a lot of people in november and early december, in particular pro users, who were butting right up against the six week window.

My date went from December 2017 to May 4th 2018 then it moved up to May 3rd yippee but then it moved to May 11th :frowning: Maybe I’ll get it this year but I’m not holding out much hope anymore

So, I don’t think I ever got an actual shipping notification, despite setting all notifications on UPS my choice (checked spam filters, nope)… but I just checked and I have a GLOWFORGE delivery tentatively scheduled for next Monday, which makes about two and a half weeks from getting the shipping confirmation e-mail.

I’m considering taking Monday off just so I could be home for the big moment; I tried to change my delivery to pick up at a nearby UPS store and got an error…

Trying to keep my expectations in check, with my luck the box will get run over by the delivery truck

2 Likes

Is it the delivery the 79 pound box with a second 14 or 15 pound box?

Or is it the 14-15 pound box from Tennessee?

Thank you for prompting me to check, it’s a 15lb box from Nashville… so I guess it’s just the proofgrade mea culpa materials. Ah well par for the course

It’s a step along the way…but probably not worth staying home from work for :slight_smile:

I got my Glowforge 3 days after the proofgrade materials, but I could almost spit on the factory from my house if the wind is blowing the right direction.

Well, it finally happened. I got an e-mail from UPS the other day and yesterday the big boxes arrived just a few days behind the little one from Tennessee. Aside from one of the plastic handles missing and UPS apparently had kept it standing upright, it seemed to be in good shape when I peeked inside. At least, no broken glass.

Took it out to the garage and gave it a whirl.

First impressions:

• It’s a good looking machine, and seems well-built.

• The design of the entire unit looks very well thought out, and the packaging and little items keeping parts secure during shipping were also well-designed

• Setup couldn’t have gotten much more simple than the magnetic laser head practically snapping itself into place. Everything else was already installed and ready to go.

• Overall, a lot of “oh, nice” moments when examining and setting up the device.

• Although I pretty much figured out the whole setup without any aid, the lack of a manual in the box felt more like an oversight than a statement on its simplicity… especially since the PDF manual that is online doesn’t feel nearly as well-designed and polished as the product itself.

• Shipping could’ve been handled better, it was kind of obnoxious to have to create a UPS account just to get notified the package was on its way.

• The web interface seems simple enough, but I haven’t used it enough to pass judgment. I think I would prefer a native app over needing a persistent connection, but we’ll see if it really matters

• Getting the Glowforge at last is some serious delayed gratification, and I can’t say that the extraordinary wait hasn’t chilled my enthusiasm somewhat. But it is finally real and it is cool.

I don’t really need a ruler and i just wanted to test the calibration, so I threw some cardboard in. Had to guess at the settings cause it’s not “recognized material.” Hoping that kind of stuff doesn’t get annoying. Made a coaster and engraved a really old drawing I dug up.

Time to find some time to get acquainted.

9 Likes

Fun times ahead! (Cool fox!) :wink:

Congrats on the machine, I’m glad you finally got it! I can’t wait to see what you do with it. That fox is very cool :slight_smile:

There’s no way for the GF to recognize the thousands of different types of materials available, but the proofgrade setting can be a good place to start when you use similar stuff. (Just click on the green “material” button at the top left.) If there’s no similar PF, a quick forum search works well too.

1 Like