Delrin Leather Stamp

This looks amazing! Love it!

3 Likes

Wow - impressive! So many possibilities… I think my brain is paralyzed!

4 Likes

This topic has a lot of ideas for tools that can be used to press.

8 Likes

Well that came out fantastic!

2 Likes

That is exceptional!

2 Likes

Whoa. That’s amazingly beautiful. Nice work!

2 Likes

This is fantastic! Did you put anything into the lines of the art, or is the color difference just from pressing it? It turned out very clean!

2 Likes

Awesome! I was just thinking of this during my commute! I have to learn how to do stitching, though. I have no press, either, so my redneck brain is just saying “drive over it with your SUV.” :smiley:

9 Likes

a 12ton benchtop press can be had at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. They put them on sale pretty often too, or use their 20% off coupon. (Can you tell I had been watching?)

7 Likes

You definitely weren’t the only one thinking this :rofl:

@Andy_Mock great work my friend. It’s people like you that make me want to jump into the leather field!

7 Likes

Now this is right in my wheelhouse.

2 Likes

In my neck of the woodlands a press can usually be had at a local estate auction for next to nothing. I’ve pretty well stocked my wood shop at auctions and usually saw all the same guys at every auction until they got theirs stocked too.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve seen people use a C-clamp to press stamps into leather. There’s also the mallet method where you hammer them down. It takes practice but all doable.

3 Likes

No dye. The leather just turns darker when it’s compressed. I’ll finish this wallet up and put some antiquing dye in it so the design will pop even more.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I have. I just cut the ram rod off and welded up some 1/2" thick steel plates top and bottom. I also cut the legs down so it sits on my workbench. I bought the pneumatic jack with it so I hook it up to my air compressor when I’m using it as a clicker. Works great!

3 Likes

Fine work! Thanks so much for posting settings!

1 Like

Thanks! I should post a photo of my second attempt. I melted the Delrin. It’s not pretty. Haha!

4 Likes

that turned out amazing!! would love to do something like this when my Pro ships… Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhhhgfdjitgjn YES! I’ve been racking my brain to find out how I could do this. Thank you sir, thank you. I hate the smell and look of the etching on Leather, too much carcass skin powder everywhere. So here I go!

5 Likes

You could also use it for tooling patterns by doing a light etch into a larger plate, think the inverse of this, and then press that onto a larger piece of leather. People do that a lot for tooling designs that they repeat frequently rather than having to constantly manually transfer the design with a stylus.

2 Likes