Deltoidal Hexecontahedron

My latest polyhedral is a Deltoidal Hexecontahedron. 2 layers with the top being cedar, and the bottom birch. Biggest one I’ve created so far, measuring at about 14 inches in diameter. I made a 3D printed stand for this, as well as a plan to add a LED light globe for the inside. I need to rewire the light so the switch and charging port are accessible. I think I’m done with polyhedrals for a while.

In geometry, a deltoidal hexecontahedron (also sometimes called a trapezoidal hexecontahedron, a strombic hexecontahedron, or a tetragonal hexacontahedron) is a Catalan solid which is the dual polyhedron of the rhombicosidodecahedron, an Archimedean solid. It is one of six Catalan solids to not have a Hamiltonian path among its vertices. The 60 faces are deltoids or kites. The dihedral angle between all faces is 154.12°.

Faces: 60 (120 since it’s multi-layered)
Vertices: 62
Edges:120
Stand Offs: 480
Screws: 240
3D Internal Connectors: 62 (12+20+30)
3D Print Time: 32 hours 16 minutes
Total Parts: 902

Approximate Glowforge Engrave & Cut Time: 36.83 Hours

69 Likes

Well, if this is it for a while you certainly like to go out with a bang! I think this is your prettiest one yet, and my favorite. I really like that surface pattern and it looks great on the cedar.

1 Like

Now the bar has been set so high I can’t even see it with binoculars! Fantastic!

5 Likes

I never thought I would learn math here.

8 Likes

That’s a lot of time. Yikes.

Great result though. Nice choice on the cedar.

2 Likes

Gorgeous pattern!

1 Like

Me too. :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

I forget, are you 3-D printing the connectors?

Also: thats looks Awesome.

Yes. This one required 3 different connectors designed in Fusion360.

10 Likes

Nice nice nice.
This would be a fun project for a Fusion360 newbie like me to play with.
You have a favorite supplier for your hardware or (like me) do you just grab stuff as you pass it in the aisle of wherever you are?

1 Like

I order everything online. I have limited mobility these days due to having MS, so I take full advantage of having things shipped directly to me. For wood, I’ve used Owyn’s, Ocooch, inventables, and johnson’s plastic. The cedar for this build came from Johnson’s plastic. The screws are not cheap either, so I buy bulk from the boltdepot.com.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of boltdepot.com before; I’ll check them out. Thanks!!

1 Like

OMG! You… are a nutbar!

2 Likes

That’s some serious commitment. The pattern looks really nice!

2 Likes

downright gorgeous and the pattern carries through from the top to the bottom layer as far as I can see. It has a very steampunk feel to it.

2 Likes

The Grand Finale (for now)!

That is an amazing and beautiful piece. The cedar works really nicely and I bet it is quite fragrant.

1 Like

Wow, it’s gorgeous. I would feel compelled to start coloring those intricate designs!

1 Like

Speechless.

1 Like

Makes me wish I paid more attention in Geometry Class, outstanding!

3 Likes