Desiccant packet

So after using my GlowForge for months and cutting, engraving, and scoring many items I decided to give it a more through cleaning. In the back corner under the laser tube I find a bag of desiccant. Is it supposed to stay there permanently or did I miss removing this when unpacking?

1 Like

Pretty sure that can come out. Best case, no harm done, worst case, it catches on something moving and causes issues.

EDIT: might want to wait for official word [this should have been in problems and support maybe], but I’ve never noticed any dessicant pack other than the one that shipped with it and that came right out.

1 Like

FWIW mine has no desiccant packet anywhere under the tube.

“Do not eat” packs were a late addition to packing and shipping (late 2017, I believe). Should be safe to remove and of course, do not eat. :innocent::rofl:

3 Likes

The steel earwires I just bought had a warning on the label saying “do not ingest.” I am not making this up. #Murica :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

There goes my dinner plan. Back to the drawing board.

3 Likes

Back in the early 90s I was waiting for a software developer to get back to his desk so I could ask him about something, and noticed a 3.5" floppy disk lying there from one of his code projects. It had a label on it with big red letters that said “DO NOT EAT!!!” When he showed up, I asked him why, and he gave me a wide-eyed look, and replied, “Because! That would be BAD!”

Software developers are a strange breed. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

She says, to the software developer. Goes back to labeling things re: their edibility.

2 Likes

She says, AS a (former) software developer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I took out the desiccant and threw it in my Proofgrade storage drawer. :slight_smile:

Actually that may not be a bad idea to start storing (with my proofgrade and other substrates) all the various ones I’ve received over the ages (Get quite a few coming into work as well - usually save a ziplock full of 'em just in case I drop some electronic in water)

1 Like

They’ll have long since stopped absorbing anything by then.

1 Like

If they are silica gel you can “recharge” them by drying them out in your oven.

2 Likes

Also, Coffee can be Hot. :roll_eyes:

1 Like