Design Catalog?

No, you’re not missing something… I was… Didn’t really think of that. It’s a completely different catalog model than I had even remotely considered and makes sense if that’s how they want to do it. Guessing that’s why Dan seems to have been paying a lot of attention to this discussion.

it would be worrying if the Glowforge could ‘recognize’ what it’s cutting. Because everything goes through the cloud it could hypothetically scan all the submitted files for print and if something resembles or is a certain percentage the same if could send up red flags. I just hope that it wouldn’t cancel the print and send an error message like “your printing license content”.

Yeah this is great for the content maker but it becomes almost like a patent holding. And I think it would be harder for the designer because you would have to ensure that it is 100% original.

I wasn’t going there. That opens too many cans of worms. If you’re inspired by a design and recreate it, even if you recreate it too closely so that legally you would be in some sort of violation, I would not expect the cloud software to analyze what you’re printing and stop you from cutting it. I only meant if there is a paid item in the catalog and you want to cut it on your glowforge why download the file to your computer and then upload it to the glowforge cloud just to have it sent to your glowforge. You purchase one, or two or twenty copies and then you print them at your convenience directly from the catalog - no downloading to your computer equipment. This model solves many of the issues around protecting IP while not making any of the issues it doesn’t solve any worse. And, it’s a lot easier for those owners who view their glowforge as a printer for doing things as opposed to another tool in their workshop for making things.

Ah gotcha. Makes sense. I think you’re right. There would be an advantage to downloading just the print commands rather than a file to print.

I am wondering, are there any updates regarding the design catalog you might be able to share at this time?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I am wondering the same as the post directly above me.

Ever since we signed up for a 'forge I’ve been cultivating the idea for selling simple, fun designs on the marketplace aimed at sparking the imagination of what’s possible with a laser. Honestly, I run lasers a lot and have an Epilog Helix to poke around on, but the “marketplace” idea the Glowforge makes possible transcends the notion of “this is my engraver, it’s an isolated island” that every other laser platform unwittingly champions.

I’ve since designed many of these marketplace items in hopes that the application process to sell my designs won’t be prohibitive enough to keep a small-timer like me out.

Any warm-and-fuzzy feeling I could get from news in the subject would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

Nothing to share yet, but it’s wonderful to hear what you’re looking for! Our first goal is to make sure that there are proven reliable designs that people can print on launch day, but from there we’ll start to explore options for community submissions.

–dan

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! You are so responsive to the community it’s amazing.

My designs are so simple, yet they would definitely be the first things I would buy/print as a GF owner- and I’ve had very positive reviews from colleagues as well saying much of the same.

All of my designs are children-centered (toys that require either absolutely zero assembly after printing or 1-step assembly without tools) and would be priced as cheap as possible (99¢ or below).

If there are any chances to submit designs for the first run of “proven reliable designs” I would love a crack at that- I’ve made these so simple it would be near impossible to mess up.

7 Likes

Those first designs will come from our team. Proven reliable means that, for example, we’ve tested them on a wide variety of Proofgrade materials, had 3rd parties print and assemble them, and generally ensured that they’re as bulletproof as possible.

8 Likes

Can I get that in vest form? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

One of the first catalogue designs could very well be a vest. :wink:

3 Likes

OOOh I want one out of acrylic !!

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that just make you a stiff? Lol

1 Like

My mind doesn’t know if it wants to go morbid or dirty with that…

4 Likes

:scream: oh gosh…didnt mean it like that…lmao…thinking stiff as in boring…lmao. Oops

4 Likes

Work in a hospital doing sterilization. Occasionally the OR or Labs have…spare parts. So sometimes random things are triggered that normal(er) people wouldn’t think of. :grin:

6 Likes

Bumping this thread because I’m very interested in how the design catalog will work. @dan said near the start that a priority was: “Letting creative people make a living selling their designs…” What I envisioned is much as @caribis2 described. For someone who wants to generate income an option should be to allow direct printing without downloading the design file. Using the cloud makes this possible and gets away from the need for buyers to be aware of and follow license terms, and the vendor to chase down non-compliance. A real issue with typical licensing is that honest people will pay, cheaters will not and therefore get a free ride. I hate when that happens!

Some possible solutions to issues that have been raised:

1. Verifying designs for inclusion in “for fee” catalog. First step could be vendor providing photos of finished product (e.g., for an engraved artwork) or creating an assembly video (e.g., for a box), to show that it is a real, usable design. Another check might be using the GF cameras to document print, as mentioned in #2 below. (Actually don’t know if the GF can do that…). A great way to validate the design would be to have a draft area of the catalog, where the designer can authorize another (or 2, 3?) GF owner to produce the item and confirm that it works. The ultimate step would be to have the designer pay GF for time and materials to print the item, in order to get official GF stamp of approval. The preceding checks would minimize the number of submissions and ensure they had a high chance of being accepted.
  2. Design didn’t print (or not properly): If the design has been tested and verified this would primarily be needed if material was out of spec (e.g., a void in plywood) or something similar. Use the cameras to take pictures during print so the vendor can confirm the issue, and authorize a reprint (also could help the vendor and GF troubleshoot problems). Or have the functionality to take picture immediately after print, and upload directly to vendor’s account with request to reprint.
  3. Need for customization. Two situations, modifying the design (e.g., aspect ration of a photo frame), or personalizing it. In the first case, designers should make the design parametric if possible. Also, the catalog should make it easy for potential buyers to request this type of customization (and therefore needs to make it possible for the vendor to authorize an individual to print a unique design, one that’s not publicly available). In the second situation, designers should plan for personalization where appropriate (e.g., space for person’s name on a book cover) and provide the specs (printable area) or an editable template.
  4. Pricing. Controlling printing from the cloud simplifies this. Vendor sets prices and quantity breaks. Buyer pays for number they print. So, for example, 1 - 10 prints, $N each. 11 - 25 prints, .8$N each. 26 - 50 prints, .5$N each. There are other ways to do quantity discounts, but doing it this way means the buyer doesn’t have to guess how many they might print, they simply get charged the appropriate discounted price for the next one.

I was surprised that this thread died a year ago, and wonder how people now see the design catalog supporting their GF based business.

3 Likes

You have lots of interesting ideas! Its really interesting to see others people perspective on things. I think the reason the conversation died out isnt because people arent interested, but because nothing was decided about how it wpuld work. Everyone sort of said what theyre interested in or how theyd like things to work, which I enjoy reading, but until glowforge decides theres not really anything to add on.

I think some people are still really interested, but we just sort of have to wait on glowforge to see where it will go, if anywhere.

3 Likes

We haven’t unveiled our grand plan for the catalog yet, but we’re working on it!

4 Likes

I hope that LOTS of designs are getting ready to be published. :slight_smile:

1 Like