Diamond šŸ’Ž

Hi there!

Iā€™ve decided to play a bit with Maya to model the Diamond and used Fusion 360 to help me cheate the cut outs!

I hope you like it!

https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/4WB0zJF1ixbolvmEMdZsBEuC2Xy.mov

45 Likes

Ooooh, fancy. Very cool.

2 Likes

Nice! And happy birthday @cordioli!

3 Likes

Oh! Almost missed thatā€¦happy birthday! :grinning:
(Kewl diamond!)

3 Likes

Many thanks! :blush:

Nice model. Table, girdle and pavilion. :sunglasses:
Happy Birthday!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

I, for one, have always liked diamonds! Nice!

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, I donā€™t think I ever met a woman who didnā€™tā€¦

2 Likes

Geodes are much more geologically interesting. :wink:

4 Likes

:slight_smile: Possibly true!

Geodes are soooooooooooo interesting! I love them also!

1 Like

Having the benefit of diamond blades, a favorite is to slab geodes. Thinner cuts make cool transparencies.
A neighborā€™s girl had a geode she had found and wanted me to halve it for her. When the cut was complete, I kept the pieces together without looking at them and handed them to her held together. Before I released them in her grasp, I told her ā€œEvery one of them is different, and sunlight had never shown into it, that she would be the first to gaze insideā€.
Her little eyes got wide, and she was excited with that realization. Often a simple thrill like that is enough to ignite a life-long passion.

5 Likes

When showing people the sky through a telescope, I talk about the same thing-- the photons that you see have been traveling uninterrupted for hundreds/thousands/millions of years until they end their journey in your eye. You are the only person who will ever see them.

3 Likes

I had a coworker whose wife could have cared less. Her sister-in-law was flabbergasted why she didnā€™t make her brother buy her a diamond ring. They went on some really nice vacations though.

2 Likes

A great way to put it! ā€œThose photons are just for you.ā€ The understand that each photon, a massless particle, is a messenger packed with informationā€¦ Sagan said ā€œspectroscopy is magical, and amazes me still.ā€

I love sharing science with kids. So many wonderful lessons of physics sitting there waiting to be marveled at, and each one is another little puzzle piece of ā€˜what exactly is going on hereā€™.
Another favorite from that poet is " The answers have always been there, we just didnā€™t know how to read them".

I have really been enjoying the proximity of Mars lately, a crimson Jewel in the night sky. Even though the winter sky is much richer, I enjoy the summer evenings because I donā€™t like shivering at the eyepiece.

2 Likes

Obviously a woman who follows her own drummer. Definitely a keeper.

1 Like

Diamonds are pretty, but one is enough. My hubs knows very well that electronics are THIS girlā€™s best friend. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I resemble that remark. Power tools too. :smile:
(Guess we wouldnā€™t be hanging out here if that werenā€™t the case.)

4 Likes