Dice chest

One of the ladies at work requested a dice chest for her husband. It was fun researching and designing this project. I had a bit of an issue with the finish drying really really slowly but overall quite happy with it. It’s made up of multiple layers of 1/4” and 1/8” Wenge and Padauk. It also has hidden 1/4” neodymium rod magnets in the base and lid to help keep it closed.

104 Likes

Beautiful! I love the different colors of wood. Very nicely designed!

5 Likes

What a beautiful project! Nice work!

3 Likes

Wow. I never thought of putting wenge and padauk together. Beautiful.

4 Likes

Gorgeous!

3 Likes

Nice piece of woodwork. :sunglasses: The engraving is like a signature. A touch of quality.

2 Likes

When you mentioned in my Catan thread that you were working on a dice chest using padauk, I thought you meant a dice tower. This is even nicer! Great job! I also love wenge but couldn’t find a way to work that into my Catan board. :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely amazing. Love this.

2 Likes

Another one I would love to see in the catalog! My “future son-in-law” would go crazy for this.

1 Like

Thanks. For my 2nd and 3rd Catan boards I ended up using the Wenge for wood and the Walnut for Ore. My Walnut was quite gray, it turned out really well switching those two. No more Catan boards for a while. One of them goes into the office xmas charity fundraiser today so I’m hoping it does well, but not so well that I have everyone asking for a board.

4 Likes

Truly a beautiful piece!

1 Like

That will be very impressive for him and his friends.

1 Like

Gorgeous! I love all the details👏

1 Like

What a perfect geek gift!
There is money in that… especially if you make it a combined dice storage/ dice rolling tower

2 Likes

Wow, that’s beautiful! I love the hidden magnet idea.

2 Likes

By all of the Gods of Gaming and Dice, YES!!! This is an amazing project!

1 Like

That is awesome! Beautiful work.

1 Like

That is really awesome!! I’d love to make that for my son!

1 Like

What kind of adhesive did you use? I’m a newbie waiting for my pro and trying to get as much knowledge as possible. Beautiful work by the way!

1 Like

Thanks. I used a medium thick cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue. One layer at a time, the rod magnets helped keep the layers lined up. Even still you end up being off a very small fraction of an inch, I just sanded flush which also removes the burn so you can see the wood color.