Dice Pouch

I suppose I should share this here, too:

I got some bonus studio time last weekend and, put the new vacuum tray to use in prototyping a dice pouch.

Recently, I was playing with designing some custom patterns for printing fabric. The inside and outside of the main body are a couple matching circles of one of those. The front, back, bottom and flap are from the JPP Saddle Collection faux leather, engraved with variants of one of my Celtic spiral designs.

The layers are held together with an iron-on glue (Heat N Bond). Like the fabric and faux leather, that cut nicely on the vacuum table. The faux leather is stitched on (with the reverse of the stitching hidden by the lining) and, I ran an overlock stitch around the fabric circles to discourage fraying.

The drawstring holes are reinforced with grommets. The drawstring is a heavy 4mm thick kumihimo braid with steel ends added.

A magnetic clasp keeps the flap shut.

46 Likes

Outstanding. Clever way to build a pouch, I hadn’t seen that method before.

Side note: I’m a goblin so… more pics of dice please :slight_smile:

12 Likes

So clean. Love it!

11 Likes

The combination of leather and fabric is a neat idea and very colorful. Nice work!

8 Likes

I immediately thought, “that would make a great Scrabble tile pouch (a little bigger)!” Very nice.

10 Likes

Love that design. Looks great!

5 Likes

you know, i bought some heat n bond many years ago and completely forgot i have it. hmmm…

5 Likes

That turned out really nice!!

5 Likes

The only issue there is that the circle is 10.3 inches, pretty close to the limit one is going to get cutting that on the laser directly without some clever hack (e.g., cutting a half circle on folded fabric somehow).

4 Likes

or you’d have to cut it in two half circles and stitch those together.

5 Likes

It’s not like it is onerous to cut them by hand, either. I even have a punch for the grommet holes.

I have previously laser-cut cardboard templates in sections that I taped together and, used to transfer shapes to fabric to cut with scissors.

4 Likes

and something like a pouch is quite forgiving and doesn’t need the micro precision that other things might.

6 Likes

True!

One of the things I am enjoying about this is efficiency. Once I had the design down, I built the prototype in about an hour, while filming everything I did.

6 Likes

Nice combination of materials. Always enjoy your projects.

5 Likes

Wow. Awesome! I’d use this for so many other things as well. It’s a pouch that can hold all the small things.

3 Likes
4 Likes

That looks great!

4 Likes

Green and brown edition.

7 Likes

Absolutely luscious color combination (and great product photo composition too)!

5 Likes

I had to read your post twice.
New Vacuum Tray + Dice being vacuumed up into the bag
How did he get that in there?
LOL
Thanks for the (personal) laugh and the great ideas!

3 Likes