Dice Tower Fhtagn!

So, I spent the last couple of weeks working on the artwork and designing this portable, collapsible dice tower. It’s only about 5” tall and functions just fine with or without its tray.

I’m a big fan of Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos and my board game addiction is getting worse, heh.

I designed Cthulhu referencing several renditions of him that I liked. The Necronomicon symbol also made some cool “strange (non-Euclidean) angles” for the tray’s side design for the Lovecraft portrait to peek out of. If you look carefully, you’ll notice I made sure to have each side portrait of Lovecraft (on the tray) consistent so it’s not just a mirror image… and it compliments the smaller Lovecraft portrait on the side of the dice tower when it’s all closed up. I’d like to say I planned that, but it was nothing but an honest, happy accident, heh.

Honestly, making a Dice Tower was something I’ve been wanting to do since day-one of preordering my Glowforge. =) Better late than never!

70 Likes

Gorgeous design work! I love all the cutouts, they make the box so interesting! :grinning:

6 Likes

The current bar for dice towers. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Heh thanks. I’ve already got ideas for more versions… I’m a huge HR Giger fan. =)

3 Likes

I’ve watched the video ‘Darkstar’ about 3 or 4 times now. Fascinating and so strange. Have you seen it?

I haven’t yet, no. I’ve seen some other biographical documentaries about him, though. I’ve been a huge fan my entire life… I remember seeing his art books in my local comic shop when I was 8 years old. Seeing his art is how I discovered Alien as a kid, hah!

Full disclosure: my wedding band is based on a Giger design. If I were rich, I’d own a Harkonen Chair or the entire dining room set. =)

2 Likes

Happy cakeday @Xabbess. I have been remiss of lately doing the shout outs just trying to get to zero.

1 Like

Wow, you get the prize for most impressive dice tower!

2 Likes

Love all the detail!

1 Like

That looks super-awesome! The details are amazing.

1 Like

Fantastic. And I think I recognize one of the symbols…I’ve had this guy bookmarked for a long time waiting for my Pro to arrive!

(NSWF-ish) https://zero-mostel.deviantart.com/gallery/

2 Likes

Haha nice. That guy’s got some clean renditions. The symbol is a pretty common one in the Cthulhu Mythos, like the a elder sign, so I’m pretty sure I’m not stepping on any toes including it in my design. =)

Wonderfully designed and perfect for the coming scouring of the Earth!

4 Likes

The intricate designs paired with the ability to collapse the tower make this piece a sight to behold. Thanks for sharing - I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work!

4 Likes