Difference between Baltic birch and birch plywood

Hi,

How can you tell the difference between birch plywood and Baltic birch plywood? The front is birch and the back ones are Baltic birch.

https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/xE6MM4gGFP7bLyLsUqZnSLhkM.MOV

1 Like

Baltic Birch usually has more, and higher quality plys. Birch usually has very thin veneers of birch with fewer plys, and more voids. The ones at the right of the picture showing the edges seem to show lower quality plys, which suggests they’re big-box store Birch and not Baltic Birch.

6 Likes

Hi

I thought I had replied. I haven’t used the Baltic birch yet but it doesn’t look any different to me… I’ll have to try it and see. But both the birch and Baltic birch have 3 layers.

plenty of info here:
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/woodworking-101/tips-tricks/your-ultimate-guide-to-baltic-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/

in terms of visual inspection, true baltic birch should only have “football” shaped patches, and only on one side. the back piece in your first two shots looks like it has an irregular patch that I would expect from big-box birch, or birch plywood that is not necessarily Baltic Birch.

4 Likes

Is that 1/8”? I believe 1/8” Baltic birch has 3 plies, and 1/4” has 5.

2 Likes

You are correct sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is Home Depot Birch plywood…

2 Likes

It definitely looks exactly the same as my birch to me.

It’s 4mm so yeah maybe but it looks no different to my birch.

Hi, so it’s been CONFIRMED. This is not Baltic birch it is only birch plywood and the seller has confirmed it. He was mistaken himself. He showed me the label and website. See image…

I thought so how can it look exactly the same.

2 Likes

But he was nice enough to refund me and I was nice enough to give some back :grin:

2 Likes

it may look the same on the outside (although not consistently), but it won’t look the same on the inside.

4 Likes

yeah true

Is this another kind of plywood?