Dilemma regarding venting

Searching the forums I found partial answers but I’m still unclear and having trouble deciding what to do regarding my upcoming email date.

I live in a condo with no opening exterior windows which caused me to order the Basic with the filter. However, with the filter now delayed I’m trying to figure out if I can make the venting work. Here are my options:

1. Modify laundry venting with a quick connect where I could attach either Glowforge or dryer depending on which is needed (only one attached at a time but same in-wall connection (condo so no possibility of adding additional external venting)

2. Temporarily repurpose laundry vent for Glowforge only making dryer unusable (outsource laundry for now).

3. Delay Glowforge until filter is finally ready (6+ month minimum delay if the filter even happens at all).

Safety with option 1 is clearly the primary concern but other posts seem to mention the issues would primarily come if both units were simultaneously connected to the same line.

My understanding with quick connects is the need for caution as many are not made with the kind of sealing in mind that you’d want for :glowforge:. But then, I use a different form of quick connect, through a screen door, and don’t have much problem there. You don’t have a window you can vent through?

1 Like

Hoping you can avoid option 3. If it were me I would try very hard to make option 1 work. Thought: since you’re in a condo, are you SURE that your dryer vent is not shared with other units? Like they all join to a common exterior vent (like out the roof?)? That would block option 1, as the dampers that are ok for a bunch of dryers on one line would likely be insufficient to block the smoke from the Forge. You would be VERY unpopular.
If it’s really only your vent, I would switch them out like you describe, but you’ll want to test and possibly reinforce the seals for the Forge venting. Dryer connections are good, but you’ll want it perfect.
Good luck! Tell us how it goes!
(Insane thought, has anyone hooked the GF vent to a range hood? Those are built for smoke…)

3 Likes

Do you know how long the dryer vent ducting is beyond the wall, and how many bends it has? You may encounter airflow resistance problems.

Would something like this work for your dryer? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4X2FSM/ref=asc_df_B00Q4X2FSM5292083/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00Q4X2FSM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198070787462&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=734496963235702250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008454&hvtargid=pla-350606797178

(There is also one that looks like a bucket, which I’ve seen used on those small washer/dryer combo units).

And then make the GF connection to the actual vent less temporary, so it’s properly sealed?

Depending on how comfortable you are with creative solutions, you could either create a self contained filtering table ( @clone ) or an A/B switching vent gate (which blocks air flow from one device while using the other GF :glowforge: versus dryer).

I would encourage you to accept the email, because the wait will discourage you greatly.

I would suggest taking the pane of glass out of the window frame (if it’s not too large) and temporarily replacing it with a sheet of plexiglass, with a hole cut into it for venting.

Keep the glass to replace it later - it’s actually fairly easy to do, and it’s going to be a better solution than trying to switch out the dryer connection.

It’s not the most attractive solution, but it’s just for a few months. You can use silicone caulk to seal around the two parts of the Quick Connect to make removal easy.

IMG_3637

4 Likes

Lots of folks do this, but I would really avoid ever venting dryer exhaust indoors. Dryers exhaust a remarkable amount of hot moist air (I know: duh) and you’re not going to capture all of it with any available solution. This is a recipe for mold issues. If you’re like me (terrible allergies) there is a zero tolerance for this. Better to come up with a switch-out solution, and just don’t dry while you pew-pew.

This was my original thought but the glass panes are just too big for this to work. I believe the smallest is 4’x4’ and they’re integrated to the point I’m not even sure how to take it out in an attempt.

I am sure it’s a unique vent and it looks as if it just goes up the well, makes a 90 and exits the building but I’d have to test it to see exactly how long it is.

2 Likes

I’ve never used one, but the bucket ones I’ve seen force the air through or over water, so it doesn’t come out as hot air, it comes out more as a humidifier and all of the lint and other stuff is trapped in a filter and/or water.

1 Like

Yeah, that is a bit large to comfortably work with…you could hire a glazier to do it, but it might be more than you want to mess with.

I would not recommend sharing the dryer vent with the GF.

1. If the vent is near where people walk, the smoke smell can be very unpleasant (unlike laundry) and alarming to some.

2. The venting will build up with smoke residue, which will also saturate any dryer lint caught inside.

3. When you hook your dryer back up, the smoke odor from the now saturated line will go back into your dryer stinking it up and likely your clothes.

Yeah, I might just have to wait… or cancel as I’m not confident the air filter is a real thing as of this moment.