Dilemna

Do remember that those mini engravers are based on CD/DVD drive hardware, so that the maximum engravable space is 38x38mm. Probably OK for a pen but not much larger. (I built one years ago, but only ran it up to about 400mw.)

I figure that if I need a rotary jig for something that fits in the GF I can build one in a few days once mine arrives. (Oh, btw @dan is that aluminum vent cover on the photo of the air assist what will be in the final product? Because I can do really good proximity sensing on that.)

3 Likes

Completely unshielded and tiny space. Wouldnā€™t have this anywhere near pets, kids, or anything flammable.

If that is an ā€˜Engraver Printerā€™, and the GF is a 3D Laser Cutter Printerā€™, I suppose my old fashioned ball point pen is a ā€˜Digital Printerā€™ ?

RIP Syntax

:upside_down:

3 Likes

This doesnā€™t appear to have any sort of rotary mechanism, so how can it do 360 degrees? It also only engraves 1.5" square!

Itā€™s there - although I donā€™t know offhand if itā€™s aluminum or not.

I agree but also itā€™s only 1000mw (1 watt)

This is the YouTube that shows the rotator in action and the free plans to build the rotator are included in the YouTube notes. Also someone else has a 3D printer version of the rotator for sale.

2 Likes

Incredibly simple concept for the drive mechanism - one elastic band !
Obviously not directly applicable to the GF, but food for thought.
Thanks for posting.

True. Shop, yes, house, not so much. My :glowforge: will most likely be in my living room with my cats. The only other place I could put it is where I will be working and canā€™t have the operational noise.

Iā€™m still pondering the potential with a jig set up with a series of indexers. Possibly make up for having manual rotation by having a series, tandem rotations, with MPAF possibly 1/3+ engraved at a time, and fitting quite a few in the bed. Engrave one at a time, babysitting, or a bed full of items with more occasional attention.

Iā€™d be looking at a Hall effect sensor on the side of air assist fan housing for an indexing signal for a stepper motor.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m not actually looking to do any rotary engraving, so it is highly academic. If I do get into that, the community will have a great answer for my long before then. Pro picking up and continuing image will probably be in place long before I am looking at anything like cylindrical engraving.

1 Like

In truth, me neither, but I do like to have a rough idea for a solution before the problem comes up and bites me !
I suppose thereā€™s also a sense of contributing ideas, or being a catalyst for others to work with, that keeps me reading and posting.
John

If itā€™s the big honking reflective metal thing we see now, Iā€™m figuring on an IR proximity sensor mounted on the rotator mechanism. Probably make it adjustable along the y axis for different size engraves. Those tiny reduction-gear steppers are 2048 steps/rev (ignoring backlash for the moment) so you probably could do the stacked-line thing if you got the gfui to accept the file. Otherwise just a few dozen lines at a timeā€¦)

Not come across those; interesting.

The fancy ones are, say, something like this with lots of datasheets and tutorials. The not-so-fancy are this or this. (Iā€™ve used that last one, and getting a usable signal is, er, interesting.)

2 Likes

Must be getting old(!). Of course Iā€™ve come across them. Several years ago on the cnczone site, we had a long discussion on 3D mapping as it happened. Most of it was hovering around the idea of using this, or some top end version, as a depth map generator, possibly using the moire effect of projecting a line pattern onto the surface in question, then scanning it with an optical detector.
Someone suggested using the led from a cd playerā€¦ and so it went on.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t use an IR sensor because of the smoke and bright flashes from burning materials.

4 Likes