Diorama lama ding dong

I started with a graphic I made, for my parody escape room, “Airy Botter & the Sorcery School Headmaster’s Office.”

And then I thought, hey, this would be a cool diorama. So I quickly converted the Illustrator doc to something glowforgable, cut it, added an ESP-12 microprocessor and 15 addressable LEDs, and made this:

And then played with the programming so it could go through several transitions from “night” to “day” – and the chip generates its own WiFi server and webpage you can browse, to select the transitions, or keep it on one, or do whatever.

The videos linked below are the night to dawn selection, with the lights on, and with the lights off in the room. The effects of the sun rising are ONLY done with the LEDs.
Lights on in room
Lights off in room

Hope you like it. If you need some help in programming something similar, I’m happy to help.
I plan to sell them as expensive souvenirs.

58 Likes

Wow, I really love the light boxes!!

3 Likes

Oh so very cool!

3 Likes

that is very cool.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s nice.

2 Likes

Your thread title made me laugh out loud!!

5 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

The lighting that you chose looks fantastic . :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice! Are the LEDs on the bottom or in the back? The light looks like it is throughout the whole depth of diorama.

5 Likes

Loved it! Well done!

3 Likes

Everyone is killing it these days with cool projects. I’m just too busy to be able to get anything done. And where would I start. I want to do them all, but especially something like this.

4 Likes

There are 3 or 4 LEDs (neopixels to be more precise) on each layer. And I “hand coded” each one for color for each of the settings. The pictures don’t really do the color justice.

5 Likes

That dawn image is just gorgeous

I feel like, with your theme, that someone is casting a patronus behind that tree on the left :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I love these, they are beautiful.

2 Likes

::cough:: as it’s a parody, they’re not casting THAT, but something being cast was the idea! :smiley:

2 Likes

That must be what I am doing wrong. I am using LED strips along the bottom. I need to get more ligt to the top of my design.

This is so cool! It gives so much more dimension with the different lighting. Thank you for the videos!

3 Likes

Patronizus? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

“and business administration” LOLOLOL!! I love it and the lights and the rest too :slight_smile:

1 Like