Diorama with Glowforge help

My son is a professional photographer and as a hobby he likes to make dioramas and photograph them. He just started asking me for help making parts on the Glowforge. Kind of a fun project working together on this.
We used the Glowforge to make the letters on the sign. We used draftboard for the back and sides of the letters and frosted plexiglass for the fronts. He used fiber optics to light it up with a LED light source. The letters are about 1-1/4" tall (32mm). Pretty great result.

77 Likes

HOLY SMOKES that is AWESOME!

4 Likes

More than great. Epic results.

3 Likes

Great detail in that! Looks like something out of Mad Max.

5 Likes

Great when family works together.

4 Likes

So fun to Orkney with your son … Looks amazing!

1 Like

Wow, that is unbelievable! (And I was gonna say it definitely has a Mad Max vibe too, so I think @PrintToLaser nailed it.) :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

How cool is that!

2 Likes

Man, it’s kinda early in the day to call this, but you and your son win the daily GFMA award. (GF’s most awesomest award). Congrats!

11058415_866150530111794_425176163634835471_n

2 Likes

Ohmygosh, this is over the top amazing! I would love to see this piece in person, or maybe a video of it from different angles. I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. I know he posts on his diorama sites. I will ask if he has any more photos showing how he set up the shots.

1 Like

Here is the video. Lots more photoshop work than I thought. And I did not realize that person was a real cosplay actor.
My Glowforge is pretty dirty, please don’t judge me. Ha.

17 Likes

thanks for posting the video, it’s immensely satisfying to watch it come together.
It’s funny, I was almost certain that the person was real/edited in, but I also thought that the camper might have been 'shopped in as well… he did a great job of weathering it!

4 Likes

Wow, even more amazing when you see the meticulous effort to put it all together and optimize the look.

3 Likes

Over the top man! Magnificent! :star_struck:
So cool to see all of the technique! Beautiful marriage of real world and digital manipulation that resulted in that gorgeous piece of art.
Thank you for sharing that!

Even more impressive after watching the video clip!

this was so interesting to see and then watch the video…the work involved was amazing. Your sone must cringe when people ask “can’t you just shop it in”. Very impressive.

2 Likes

Very Cool! That is stunning!

Thanks. We are working on a hobbit theme right now. I am trying to show him how useful the Glowforge is. I think he just likes me doing the design work so he can focus on the artistry.
Here are some teaser pics

13 Likes

Ohhhhh! I like that one! :ok_hand: :sunglasses:

1 Like