Discussion of (early!) July update

I am totally confused then now.

Before the change the old scale went 1-100 and was contiguous but 1 was a lot more than 1%, so there was a missing band at the bottom.

Now there is control down to a much lower level but there is a gap between 99 and 100.

The new 100 is more power than the old 100, so actually there was a missing band at the top of the old scale as well.

Where would the old 100 be on the new scale?

Where would the old 1 be on the new scale?

Seems like this would be very useful information for people trying to migrate their own settings.

1 Like

Wow! Great update!
The power settings sound awesome! Gonna get super manual on my beta tomorrow and see what happens… :smile:
That paper example looks incredible. Love it!
Good things come to those who wait :soon:

2 Likes

My brain hurts :expressionless:

7 Likes

If it displayed power in watts in would be much simpler. No settings would have needed to change, assuming the old 100 is not in the missing band of the new scale.

Congrats Glowforge Team! The Precision power setting is so cool - I can’t wait to see what folks start making with paper. And in a couple of months, what I can make with paper!!
Keep up the fantastic work! :smile:

2 Likes

Does this mean you have fixed the overburn in corners by reducing power as it decelerates?

1 Like

I’m hoping there’s a system preference setting for that in there somewhere.

1 Like

Or just an appendix in the manual with the mapping.

1 Like

Or that. I was just hoping for an easy UI overlay. I’d be happy either way I suppose.

I’d truly dislike the new “descriptive” listings of material.

I realize it matches up to :proofgrade: materials, but it makes it more difficult to choose a starting point for non-:proofgrade: materials.

Also, everything now has, at most, 2 available shades. But they appear to be identical unless I’m missing something…

Plus, the previous version, as I recall, didn’t mask your shade selection entirely… just put a checkbox I think? So you could still pretty much see your selection. Now you can’t.

My vote? New features with the previous interface WINS.

7 Likes

I’m just thrilled that it goes up to 11. For when you need that extra little kick :wink:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

The Precision Power feature is very very exciting. I have a few ideas that require paper and being able to print on paper opens crazy interesting options.

Thank you for the update Dan! I’ll now continue to prepare my work area to receive my Pro. I’m not ready but I’m ready.

2 Likes

Just WOW!!! And a manual too!

2 Likes

I’m really excited about the precision power setting. My mind is racing thinking of things I can do with it!

Great update!

6 Likes

From the look of there tentative power scale, it looks like 1-100 is precision power, and full power is a different beast all together.

1 Like

Thick ~ 1/4"
Medium ~ 1/8"
Thin ~ 1/16"

3 Likes

Yes but how do the old settings line of with that scale? Have we lost a range of power between 100 and Full.

Joe, can you see that in the interface now? (Dang, this is gonna drive me nuts.) :laughing:

1 Like

No, I stole that from the update.

3 Likes