Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

Awesome note. Good to know we have some industrial muscle behind us!

1 Like

Glowforges arenā€™t THAT incapable. I did 1300 over the weekend on mine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

my company is starting these up on our industrial laser, too. but itā€™s just a puny little 32x18 bed. :wink:

only negative to that is that nobody stocks 32x18 sheets. and itā€™s not a good divisible size for bigger sheets. so weā€™re cutting 1/4 sheets (12x24) and getting ~90 at a time.

3 Likes

Hello!
I am currently making mask hooks for anyone who needs them. How do I get the 20% discount on the acrylic? Is there a coupon code or special link I have to use when ordering? I have already ordered acrylic twice now and did not get a discount on any of it. Thank you in advance!

Thatā€™s fantastic! I think I can get there as I figure out the sticky paper situation :slight_smile:

On the main sign up page ( https://meet.glowforge.com/earsavers/ ) there is an FAQ for glowforge owners: EARSAVERSACRYLIC

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing your cutting speed is pretty fast too. How long does it take to cut a sheet? Again, really cool to have some industrial lasers on the team :slight_smile:

what settings do you use and how thick is your acrylic?

So far, I think Glowforge with the 20% discount and 9 dollar flat rate shipping is the cheapest Iā€™ve found. Would love to hear if someone has found a better deal somewhere for the 1/8 in. Takes awhile to get and limited color options, but, at this point ordering ahead is making that work.

any possibility you could do an 8"x11" for me? I havenā€™t figured out how to make that modification either without shrinking everything.

1300, thatā€™s fantastic.

I own a Glowforge personally as well. I never said nor meant to imply that a Glowforge wasnā€™t capable, only that there is a difference in capability, particularly speed. Thatā€™s why different options exist. People read forum posts with different mindsets at different times. We donā€™t want anyone discouraged. Everyone will have different resources; time, material, etcā€¦ Every part will makes an impact. Weā€™re all in this for the greater good.

3 Likes

Designcraft is cutting 1/8" Acrylic on a 400w Coherent Metabeam CO2 laser. I donā€™t know about the settings, as Iā€™m not the expert operator for that equipment, Iā€™m the Director of Operations for our facility. Our program estimated about 37 minutes for a 2ā€™x4ā€™ sheet, which is 426 parts. Weā€™re seeing reality at about 45-50 minute runs.

thank you

so the request I got for these ear savers from a local hospital (request received through this group) gave them an option to personalize themā€¦when I add this text to them ( then of course change to path) the design has so many steps it takes an hour to load, and then moves so slow I cannot even get it going. I eliminated the scores to maybe help, but its giant and hard to load. My computer is plenty fast generally, and internet is 90-100+ Mbpsā€¦.am I missing something here folks? I took file into inkscape to add text, did I make it too large?

iā€™m not a big fan of the personalization option. it adds time to the making and potentially adds an area thatā€™s harder to disinfect.

if youā€™re adding personalization, look at what the GF pattern is. itā€™s all single lines, so itā€™s all scored. if youā€™re engraving, youā€™re looking at upping the production time exponentially. if youā€™re not using single line fonts, consider just scoring the outline of the text instead of engraving it all. it will make a huge difference in time. how it looks will depend on the actual text.

2 Likes

first design iā€™ve seen that incorporates those with long hair! Bravo!

1 Like

from another posts of mine - I was looking for flexible acrylic -
http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/engraving-products/duets-general-purpose-acrylic-030.asp
because the ear savers Iā€™ve seen are rigid and i can only image those would get uncomfortable, fast.

1 Like

And now I see thisā€¦ :slight_smile:
I guess I should shut up and send this shipment to ā€œhospitalā€ at the apartment complex.

2 Likes

Is there a number you can call to validate? A couple things could be at play here. Some are taking shipments at home addresses due to other restrictions. Also, maybe the form they used to request these put some data in the wrong place. Could be a shady operation, but, may be worth a call.

2 Likes

I had a ER nurse that asked that they be sent to her home address as the hospital was unable to accept/distribute donations via their Receiving dept. Didnā€™t think twice about doing so.

YMMV, but I donā€™t think itā€™s our place to vet requests. Suggesting that their request is sketchy and isnā€™t worth oneā€™s time or effort just seems wrong.

2 Likes