Discussion of July Update, Part II (latest)

OSHA nor the UKā€™s HSE have anything on the books regarding max lifting weight for an employee. The US NIOSH has recommendations and Iā€™m sure the U.K. has similar recommendations but they arenā€™t enforceable by themselves. Enforcement would fall under some other regulation, likely concerning not mitigating risk. To which they would say, well - every driver has a dolly.

1 Like

ā€œCooling
In the past, if your Glowforge got too warm, it would abort and potentially ruin your print. Now, it will just cool off for a bit and continue. The head will stop moving, but everything else will be the same. Coming soon: the UI will update to let you know this is happening, and weā€™ll lower the temperature limit to improve your performance. (In the interim, printing when itā€™s over 72 degrees or so may result in the laser not cutting through consistently - right now it only pauses when the temperatures are critical).ā€

@dan - Iā€™m a little concerned by the lowering of the temperature limit. I live in Phoenix, AZ with summertime temperatures reaching/exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep my thermostat at 75 degrees and at times I feel like even that is a big ask from my A/C unit. Moreover, I planned on installing an A/C unit in my insulated garage, and turning it into my workshop.

It would be a real shame if the Glowforge wonā€™t operate for 6 months out of the year. Am I reading that correctly? With a future update, the Glowforge will just sit there waiting for the temperature to drop to 72 degrees? In AZ, that could be a very long wait. Maybe that temperature limit is a tad too aggressive.

Having said all that - Iā€™ll happily do some hot climate testing for you if you want to ship me my pro unit now!

Thank you!

9 Likes

By ā€œsupportā€ they mean able to give cutting speeds & powers. GF has no way of knowing exactly what you are cutting even if you say 1/4" plywood. The 1/4" plywood you buy from Loweā€™s today can be different from the 1/4" plywood you buy from Loweā€™s next month or next week. Differences in glues, presence of knots, etc.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in Lake Havasu, AZ and my thermostat is usually set at 80. I personally canā€™t tolerate it much cooler than that LOL but Iā€™ll let you know if I have any temperature messages pop up. Iā€™m expecting my unit to ship any day now.

6 Likes

From the announcement:

Weā€™ll watch the first one closely, and the second one little or at all.

Perhaps there is a ā€˜notā€™ missing between the ā€˜orā€™ and ā€˜atā€™?

I did chocolate squares with my banana split :smile:

4 Likes

Hereā€™s to hoping thereā€™s more ā€œGot mineā€ emails now that packaging has been redone!

9 Likes

Iā€™m liking the ā€œand smallerā€ part of the update - for those who are picking up from mailbox places. I thought my car was pretty roomy but it didnā€™t fit the (Glowforge, Materials, and the Tray) on the ā€œcorrect side upā€ - I could have turned it sideways and they would fitā€¦ but I didnā€™t want to risk it.

2 Likes

And hereā€™s the link to the engrave calibration template posting (with attached template) I did:

5 Likes

Did you get the pro or basic? Did you see @Tom_A post? Seems like the new firmware is already causing issues.

Whoops! My bad! I remember that confection! :laughing: :yum:

1 Like

I purchased a Basic. @Tom_Aā€™s post was before the new firmware roll-out. The new firmware will not cancel the print like what happened to Tom, it will pause the print until it cools down.

Hopefully this doesnt cause any issues because my house is always warmer than that, even in AZ ā€œwinterā€ with the windows open.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t catch that it was pre-firmware update, I guess I was reading out of order. I donā€™t think his job was cancelled though, more like refused to even start in a 76 degree room.

1 Like

Natesland do you use a mister on your ac compressor section? The efficiency boost may help you keep the cutter running longer. Iā€™m getting overheated just thinking about it. :slight_smile:

I saw in another post that you ordered the Pro, so donā€™t fret about it. That one has built in ā€œchillinā€™ā€. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I like the ā€œsnap out the handles and it unlocks the lid for easy removalā€ on the box. That should make getting the GF out of the box way easier. And those carrying handles may make it usable as an occasional carry box for taking it to the occasional Makerfaire or someplace.

The other big thing is the ā€œitā€™s smaller and easier to storeā€ - thatā€™s huge since we have to keep the box to ship the GF back for tube or repairs.

@Dan do these new boxing features cause the replacement box cost to go up? (I recall it was $199 if we needed a new box.)

3 Likes

No idea of his cooling situation but I know that my house can vary a number of degrees from the location of the thermostat.

1 Like

No, in fact Iā€™ve never heard of anyone doing that. Is that a thing? I think Iā€™m about to start googling!

Yes, especially in your area where misters work well, the best ones Iā€™ve seen use a flap switch to turn on the misters when the fan kicks in. Looks kinda like those old flaps on tractors when the engine runs. Anyway it effectively lowers the atmospheric temperature around the unit making it expel the heat better. Its easier on the AC unit some AC units actually submerge the coils in water for better cooling. I have a window box unit that has a partial submergence using the condensate from inside the dwelling.
Go ahead a google it, you find things to peak your interest. Oh if you unit it on the sun side of your house you may just want to add one of the glowforge screens to shade it that will help but not as much as the water. One more thing the water wonā€™t hurt your unit it made for exposure.

1 Like

Oh almost forgot, some guys use the burlap from swamp coolers and run water through that. It gets more complicated, because of water usage, but it work as well. If you interested look up desert submarines while your searchingā€¦

1 Like