Discussion of July Update, Part II (latest)

With enough incentive, and a few basic tools you can move surprisingly big things all by yourself.
2Wheel and 4Wheel dollies are fantastic!

I’m not sure I’ll be patient enough for a second person to help when it arrives, but I’ll try!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say “it’s causing issues.” I’d say it’s preventing issues. It saved me from ruining my Glowforge.

Like saying it’s an issue when your power goes out when you run your hair dryer, fridge, air conditioner, and vacuum at the same time. Sure, your power went out, but that just prevented your house from burning down.

Correct. Booted, orange/yellow/amber light. Temp Alert message.

5 Likes

True that! At the same time, 76 degrees sounds heavenly to me.

1 Like

Heh… Warmer than I prefer while indoors. To me, I want a perfect 71ºF. But I don’t have central air, so I don’t get any consistency in my house. The A/C unit I have in my living room doesn’t much reach the back of the house where my Glowforge is. So I’ll be pickup up a small 5,000 BTU A/C unit OMW home tonight.

1 Like

Well, if I wind up having to modify my Glowforge Basic for cooling, I’ve already got this bookmarked. No idea if it’s practical to stick in-line though until I get my 'forge.

1 Like

Geez. That’s nice, but I’m stickin’ with the $130 A/C unit.

1 Like

I actually have a unit very similar to that. I used it when I was trying to keep coral alive in my reef tank. The lights would heat the water up in the aquarium beyond what those temperamental critters liked.

I have to wait until my Basic arrives before I can figure out how/if I am going to be able to make something work.

My garage will be too warm most of the summer to run my Basic out there.

Although it’s way too late for them to change the design of the Glowforge, it would have been a smart design choice if they did something like this for passive cooling on the exhaust:

1 Like

I keep fans on here. 80 in the house plus fans is actually a little chilled for me with our absence of humidity. It also only takes a few minutes of going outside in 120 degree heat to remind you how comfy 80 indoors actually is. :slight_smile:

Another trick that AZ people can use although most won’t, or havent even thought of it, is dampening the carpet. I found this out after running a carpet cleaner in the house the first time after moving to AZ from the Midwest. It was summer time, and opened the windows, doors, cranked up the fans etc to get circulation to help dry the carpet faster. The evaporative cooling chilled the whole house by at least 15 degrees. That was pretty wild.

5 Likes

Right. I’m sure I’d change my tune if I didn’t have average humidity levels of 70% year round. People also don’t often consider that the humidity makes it feel way colder in the winter, too.

1 Like

Why on the exhaust? Then it’d just cool the air going out of the case.

Other way around. The exhaust air would cool the water circulating through the cooling system, assuming the exhaust is cooler than the heated water.

2 Likes

I swear I’m of above average intelligence. But I’m not getting it. The exhaust is the exhaust. The air is being forced out of the case there.

The coolant would enter the radiator that’s placed in the exhaust path, the radiator would extract heat from the coolant and then the moving air would pull the heat from the radiator out along with the exhaust.

3 Likes

It would work just like a car where the air (laser exhaust) is drawn over a radiator thus the exhaust carries excess heat with it.

Ah! I get it now. I didn’t know the placement of the radiator.

Thanks!

Yep! I see it now.

That is exactly my understanding of what the GF currently does. It has an aluminium heat exchanger that uses the exhaust air to take heat out of the coolant liquid.

1 Like

The Basic has a passive air forced cooler/radiator (grey/yellow box) in the front right of the unit (under the button). The Pro has the same with an active cooler (grey/blue box) in the back left just before the exhaust. Same air path between the two.

13 Likes

I would hope that they have not slowed production. It does not seem like there is a problem with the Glowforges, just a problem with the delivery (couriers and potentially boxes).
I would like to think that they will do a small delivery run to test the new boxes and then it should be full steam ahead if that checks out

2 Likes

Yup, just had a Courier drop off a 300kg Pallet (with my new Sauna :joy:)… alone… with a pallet jack.
I am not sure that is even legal

2 Likes