Discussion of July Update, Part II (latest)

Ah, these are the reassuring words I needed to hear. Thanks for the update and photos! Those privacy screens look great, can’t wait to get my Pro!

1 Like

Sounds about like when my printer was delivered.

One guy with a pallet jack: 1 inch forward, turn, half inch back, turn, repeat.

24 Likes

That’s how ours was delivered. Just before Christmas. Real nice guy brought it all the way down the driveway (truck was on the street). I gave him $50 and told him to buy himself a bottle of Christmas cheer. Then I had to strip the thing apart so I could get the pieces hidden in the bike barn. My daughter & I put it together while my wife was out shopping Christmas week :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Mine was a surprise gift for the wife too!

Still cannot get over the wonderful smell of Cedar…

1 Like

i think we’re probably going to end up building one either this fall or next spring.

2 Likes

As hot as Australian summers get they are no compromise for a well-made sauna… at least Eucalyptus Oil is cheap here… it (literally) grows on trees!

I got addicted when i was in Germany, almost every place we went had a sauna. I must have met more people for the first time in the sauna (and thus all-but nude) than i did otherwise.

If you were in Australia i would suggest the mob we used: Finnish style saunas with thick cedar walls they are just as beautiful to look at as they are to be in.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update!
Yeah, got the first amber/orange button today accompanied by a Cooling down message. Only took a few minutes to get back on line.

So I have run 2.5 hour prints @ 85/335/225 with no issue in 80 degrees ambient, then today I got the orange button after 6 18 minute prints. what that tells me is this pre-release had only critical temp monitoring.
I am encouraged that the team continues to improve the machine in regards to its optimal operating envelope. I know duty cycle parameters are to be adhered to for optimum performance and operating lifespan. They are looking out for our investment.

Regarding the lull in shipping, it is a requisite that the company insures the damage issue does’t scale with production.

If I lived in an environment where ambient temps were prohibitive, I would hack that thing into happiness even if it meant a bucket of ice water to circulate from.

The consensus seems to be that everyone is OK if there was a slight delay in shipping (we are only assuming based on community reports), knowing that it was a packaging problem and shouldn’t have impacted actual production.

As I said in an earlier thread: This will certainly be one of the first, and most popular, DIY hacking adventures. :slight_smile:

I’m hoping it won’t be too difficult, and that it can be accomplished without needing to splice into the carefully designed closed loop cooling system. Perhaps, adding a cold plate or cooling coil in the path of the air inlet?

The masses will have to await their deliveries before the real ingenuity can be unleashed.

2 Likes

It’s a really nice day-ender. (Of course GF testing has eaten into that somewhat :slight_smile: )

We should have gotten one years ago.

2 Likes

I agree, and the ice water would be the last resort.
18 months ago when I first got involved, I envisioned hacking more Z out of it, but as I learned more about the machine my attitude evolved - especially after exposure to this pre-release. Temperatures here in Colorado are not prohibitive, but if they were… :wink:

1 Like

Got mine first time tonight on startup after not running all day. It’s in the basement (no A/C) temp is 80 & humidity is 40% so it’s perfectly human-comfy, just not GF-friendly I guess. Glad my forever unit will be a Pro.

Gonna have to fire up the Redsail. Trying to get something done for @bruceaulrich so I can mail it out. It won’t be cut on a GF but he’ll be able to see what the stuff looks like in real life vs just 3D renderings. The GF took itself out of the game :scream:

It occurs to me that temps might be an issue at the NY MakerFaire. There are years when temps are in the 90s in NYC in Sept.

2 Likes

Wow. That would concern me. I wonder how conservative the engineers were in setting the parameters.

2 Likes

With multiple people reporting the same issue, in a short time frame, this has all the tell-tale signs of a software update.

6 Likes

If the plastic locking handles are what I think they are, holy bananas they’re awesome. I got a monitor a few years ago that had packaging like that (and weighs ~75ish lbs, I think), and I moved it 3 times in the original box with zero tape and no problems - super easy to carry and very sturdy.

One guy delivered, too, for those who are concerned. He just had it on one of those hand cart things.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Bright spot is (IMO) a dynamic control where features continue to evolve or they can roll back if need be.

2 Likes

I fear my concern is being misunderstood. I’m laser focused on the primary function of the Glowforge. Was it designed to be used as a tool for cutting all types of material, or are we discovering it’s primary function is to cut and engrave Glowforge approved product. It’s a little late in the game for surprises. That’s all I’m talking about here.

you’re just coming at it from the wrong direction. it’s primary function is to cut and engrave whatever materials are laser safe and fit.

the whole concept of proofgrade is to give end users an easier product to cut/engrave, since the settings for those materials are baked into the software and the materials are curated to ensure consistency in cutting/engraving.

this doesn’t preclude using other materials. it just means proofgrade will be simpler.

i.e., you’re overthinking this.

7 Likes

I’m regretting my downgrade now! Haha buuuuut I want to take my GF to Maker faires (Been accepted for the one in Maine for Sept 5, hope to get my GF before then!) and other events so Basic it is (The reason for downgrade). Cool to see the pro projects though!

2 Likes

It’s not going to refuse to operate unless you feed it proofgrade.
It will laser anything you put in it.
The company won’t give a guarantee of your results unless you use proofgrade. Simple enough.

For someone like you and I who are new to this technology, there is no better machine for us to learn on, and for us this forum is a sovereign source for help when we need it. I speak from experience.You are in the right place, and IMO you bought the right machine. :wink:

7 Likes

Every time I see something new I’m like “I should upgrade. Look, it’s so pretty. I want pretty” and then I repeat my mantra “I don’t need a pro, I don’t need a pro, I don’t need a pro.”

I talked myself out of it this time around by deciding I could spend the upgrade money on supplies. So… If I upgrade to a pro, I can’t cut anything.

Are there stages of glowforge? Bargaining, denial, joy, rationalizing?

9 Likes