Discussion of June '17 update

Sure, if you’re over 80 and you’re name starts with “I” you can go in line right after Icronkite. Now, if you’re older then him, I’ll let you go first.

4 Likes

I feel solid on moving @lcronkite to the front of the line. I’m just happy that ordering the first day I’ll be close to the start of pro shipping for my country

2 Likes

Good for you, never ever apologize for that. Dad left us 25ish years ago and we still celebrate their anniversary every year. He never willingly left my Mom so it still counts in our hearts and hers. I still wouldn’t mind if she found a nice boyfriend with a GF though lol.

8 Likes

Yes, some of the Regular members will be helping with working out the final settings on the Pre-Release Units and the first wave or two of Production units. That’s been discussed in a couple of the monthly updates.

After everything has been tweaked to final standards, the units will start shipping out in bulk, through the ramped up production schedule that @dan lists in his letter.

Keep in mind, they’re still modifying the settings for a lot of the Proofgrade products right now. The folks who are receiving the machines now are having to do manual overrides for some things. When the rest of the customers receive them, that won’t necessarily be the case.

2 Likes

I think anyone who’s name starts with D should be in front… just sayin! lol jk Honestly I think those who ordered for schools “which I did not” Should come first.

2 Likes

I’m afraid we’re not offering any such evidence or guidance.

I can confirm that this is incorrect. Receiving your product has no impact on your forum status.

Absolutely, literally thousands - parts delays, sick days on the assembly line, and more. And furthermore, we reserve the right to reorder deliveries as we see fit. For example, if we should discover that the temperature of delivery trucks in some region was causing damage in transit, we might pause delivery to that region. (This is a fictional example, as we’ve already run environmental tests that meet UPS and FedEx delivery guidelines).

More broadly, I would say: if you are not satisfied with the current schedule, which only indicates “on or before” delivery dates, you should request a refund.

The statement we’ve made about order date is that it’s how we determine shipping date all other things being equal - it is, and remains, the tiebreaker among orders in a similar category.

12 Likes

I think that in honor of @Dan, anyone who is having twins should be bumped up in line, especially if they are of retirement age. Oh wait, that would be me!

3 Likes

Can you answer this part of his question?

You might ‘forget’ what the flashing push button means by the time you receive the blasted thing :glowforge::sunglasses:

So “Regular members” are granted the benefit of not being at risk of losing their money with no product being delivered? I saw that ~70 out of 180 “regular members” are employees of the company. So if you are an employee of the company you’re at risk money is first protected?

Staff are granted permissions for forum purposes only. Unknown how many are also customers… Editing, reorganizing, answering questions, flagging, etc. Completely unsure why you think being a Regular has anything to do with risk. My risk is the same as yours. Zero.

10 Likes

taylor_watanabe wrote:

“I think the confusion lies within figuring out whether or not being a regular on the forums helps your place in line when it comes to early backers. So if I ordered mine Oct 2nd but I’m not active in the forums, does that mean that someone that ordered Oct 21st, but is a regular on the forum, would receive their Glowforge before me?”

Later on @Dan stated
"Note that ~70 of them are staff."

I am left with the impression that “regular members” will be getting their units first.

1 Like

If you are asking, will they run out of money before buying all the materials and parts for assembly and paying Flex to assemble and ship the GF :glowforge: (knowing that they have pre-order customers’ money set aside $28 Million and the Investor’s $15 Million is where operating costs are being drawn from), I would say it is unlikely to happen.

As customers get their GF :glowforge:, the funds they put up get used.

If you are unsure, get piece of mind by requesting a refund. Understand you could die tomorrow or get into so nasty accident, so your plans for next week would be changed. Life is not necessarily fair or just.

6 Likes

I as a customer of a product wants to know my risk. I have not asked for a refund because i want the product. However I dont want to lose my money.

This constent “ask for a refund” is insulting and side stepping the valid concerns and questions.

3 Likes

Actually, the Pre-Release users have not had their units delivered yet either. Glowforge owns these, and can call them back at any time.

If you’re scared that you won’t get a machine, get your money back, and buy one later when you have seen that yes, they are actually being delivered. It’s not worth losing sleep over.

However, having had the opportunity to test one for a month or two …I’ve got no worries, and in fact just upgraded my order to the Pro model. (Moving back in the line in the process.)

(So if that helps you to be less anxious about things, feel free to relax now. )

9 Likes

That’s true based on @marmak3261’s PRU. But it doesn’t seem there’s much need for more improvement at the hardware level based on latest PRUs and the prod ones at BAMF - their objective now has to be to continue that level of quality as they ramp up.

2 Likes

Can’t speak to how GF does it’s shipping schedule because I don’t know. I do know that there are units working it’s way across the U.S. going to non Regulars as we speak. You’ll likely get yours before me.

4 Likes

Nope. Most of the Regular members have not gotten theirs - even those that ordered the first day.

The first decision point is type of machine. More than half of the orders are for Pros and those aren’t starting to roll out until month-end. More than a month’s worth of Basics will ship before the first Regular Pro buyer gets theirs.

Now that you mention it, I think that’s unfair and all Basic units have to wait until Pros are shipping too.

And the 3 going to the Canary Islands, gotta wait for those to be ready too. It’s the only fair thing to do. Make everyone wait and then hire Santa Claus to deliver them all on the same night.

:sunglasses:

14 Likes

Flex wouldn’t knowingly take on a customer that may go belly up in a middle of an assembly or they feel won’t have longevity of sustained orders. If Glowforge went bankrupt then all the raw materials are on Flex which could be a few million dollars.

6 Likes

Well for those who have waited and accept the fact that there have been delays, in addition have read all the posts that Dan has answered after every delay, it gets very repetitive to hear the same question get asked because those that ask don’t take the time to research BEFORE asking the same answered question.

You ignored the funding statement I made, which can be found in multiple posts addressing loss of funds and how they were being used.

If someone doesn’t want to spend the time to look into this and expect to get an unearned answer, then those who have spent the time watching their purchase funds and the progress of the company will respond with “get your money back and get piece of mind”

13 Likes