Discussion of June '17 update

You can not blame delays at glowforge for you missing out on income opportunities when you based a business around a tool that was not commercially available, while there are other similar tools already widely available.

Other businesses having their clientele established does not take away from you establishing yours and winning over your customers or enticing the competition’s customers away from them. Most markets are not finite but if they are limited, they’re not going to be profitable anyway.

12 Likes

I ordered a Basic on 9/25/2015. On the spreadsheet I see that some of the orders placed AFTER mine have already gotten emails.

Is this a lottery? I don’t do well at lotteries.

4 Likes

State side or Non-US?

If State side, how close to California?

I can’t give you an answer, but trying to collect anecdotal data.

Stopped reading right there.

10 Likes

Louisiana. Been USA (again) since 1865.

4 Likes

I think it’s been said that APO is unavailable because the Glowforge is just over the 70lb limit.

…also, I could be wrong, but I don’t think you can complain about lost revenue from something you have never done or made or had. You can be upset that you haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but you have no idea whether or not anything you do will even sell until you actually do it.

5 Likes

Seriously? Just… seriously?!?

5 Likes

Congrats on the longevity (1865)

No, not a lottery…it is a distribution of the initial units to people who do not mind using units that require additional input for the time being. :relaxed:

1 Like

Please keep in mind I did say it was the early to mid 1990’s I was there. So what was once the way of things I’m sure has changed in 23 - 24 years (that’s approximately when we left) since I last had to deal with an APO box.

1 Like

Oh, gee…

Early forays into 3-D printing, 32 years of digital presence, technical support of electrical power systems for five states’ worth of oil and natural gas pipelines… I think I can deal with inputs on this thing…

so, whenever…

No way for Glowforge to know that though, if you weren’t really active on the forum. So the forum Regulars, who have spent time here posting and trying to help get things ready for everyone else, have been selected in some cases to receive the initial units, to finish the fine-tuning process.

I wouldn’t sweat it…there are a handful helping out…it’s not going to delay everyone else getting theirs by more than a day or so. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I’m not too antsy.

It’ll happen when it happens.

5 Likes

Sure, I understand. I’m remember someone looking at it just a day or two ago and found that the actual exact weight is like 72lbs, and APO told them no.

1 Like

My question is about extras, not the planning.
($150 of premium Proofgrade materials, $20 gift certificate per month of delay,…)

To the people who are claiming thief or scam… why are you still here?

Personally, if I find out I am dealing with someone I perceive as a criminal, I am certainly cutting off my dealings with said criminal… innocent until proven guilty be damned… The reason? Because I wouldn’t be able to trust them.

If you truly think you are being scammed, jump ship. Get your refund and when it shows up in your bank account, say “I guess it wasn’t a scam” (because if it were a scam they wouldn’t give you your money back) and move on with your life.

23 Likes

My understanding has been that being a regular on the forums helped you get a pre-release unit for testing, but that has no impact on production units. Production units are being shipped out based on basic vs pro/shipping country/order date.

Not sure if the 20$/month Extras would apply in your case, since you had not ordered before the first delay announcement where they applied. They are not offering additional gifts/bennies with this schedule update announcement.

You probably still will get the $150 Proofgrade package that comes with the machine to get you started. (If they were stated when you ordered, you will get them.) :relaxed:

1 Like

Out of curiosity since it says 70Lbs has any of the individuals who have received their Forge weighed the package? I mean the weight everyone is going with is 70lbs or could this be just an estimated (rounded up) weight which does happen or just prior to that “family member” re-ships the package Via APO are there any small parts that can be packaged separately to bring the weight down? again he mentioned import/taxes but if he can find a way to go APO those are no longer an issue and should be much less than the $900+ additional costs.

1 Like