Discussion of mid-March 2018 update

Yes, but for instance Canada has a much lower earth leakage requirement than the EU, so if you haven’t designed for that you end up with PSU filter changes and that affects EMC. I have no idea what laser specific differences there might be.

1 Like

Hey @dan, could you please walk over to the guys at the assembly line and tell them to ship my unit? :smiley: I have replied to the golden mail on last friday with a straight “YES, give it to me” and can not wait to hold my glowforge in my hands :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Did somebody already recieve the material. I know payed already 46€ on a some sheets of wood that I would get here for less that price (not proofgrade but who cares) because you have to pay vat on the 150$ startet kit + the shipping cost of 66.97 $.

Did somebody already recieve the machine so I know how much money I have to have here to pay for the machine.

Already done. Thank you.

I realize this has probably been asked before, but I can’t easily find the info - I got an email saying my Glowforge was ready, and filled out my info on the site. When can I expect shipping information so I can track the package?

I don’t know if you can sign up for UPS MyChoice or not, but it’s a good idea to do it if you can. It generally notifies you of the impending arrival with a couple of days notice.

You’ll receive other email communications from the support team as well before the unit ships. (And I have no idea how long it’s taking to build these out now - generally not the full six weeks anymore, so prepping the table and venting arrangement is a good idea to get ready for it.)

1 Like

Definitely not in our case.
Our Golden ticket was 11/27, shipment 11/30, delivery 12/2.

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahhh I’m in the same boat! Literally refreshing emails and my choice on ups like every 30 mins.

1 Like

Their history has been to send an email with tracking info the day after it leaves the factory. So if UPS picks up the package from the factory on Tuesday they will send you the email with tracking info Wednesday. People who live near the factory (1 day in transit) have reported receiving the glowforge before the email from Glowforge. UPS MyChoice has been more timely with the notifications, which is one reason Jules recommended it. If you live outside the US the shipment goes by air so it has been landing in Europe pretty quickly.

1 Like

I have a strong feeling your “jimmies” will continue to rustled until we have the equipment in our hot little hands.

1 Like

Nah, i doubt there can be anymore shocks worth paying attention too.
I am quite past caring at this point

4 Likes

Hey guys,

International customer here… I don’t mean to dampen the mood on all the unicorn jokes however I have been following your updates and it seems that you’ve now completed all your US orders and are under way with your international orders, however, even though I made my order during your crowdfunding campaign it seems like it keeps on getting postponed.

The first prediction pointed to it being shipped in late February, then March, then April and now we’re all the way up to the end of June. While I understood all the hurdles you had to clear in order to make your product better thus being patient with the almost 3 year delay and sticking with you because I knew it would be worth the wait, I’m having trouble understanding the reason behind having my order further postponed still while the updates indicate good progress even to the point where you’re now available for shipping post-campaign orders. It seems rather unfair.

I’m happy that people are already paying bills with Glowforge as mentioned in a post above which is a testament to how great your product is, but some of us (the international customers) are having to pay increased overhead monthly costs (office lease and staff) trusting that your predictions coupled with the news on the good progress being made meant the shipment needn’t be further and further postponed. My bad, I guess… but I never thought that after so much time getting the product right, building a legal team to take care of compliance, etc etc the shipment date could be off by half a year!!

As mentioned I understand it took a while to get the product right, and even understand the need to postpone from February, to March, to April… but come on, 29th of June? That’s now close to 5 months more than the initial prediction.

It is entirely possible that other International Customers don’t share my frustration however it’s getting hard to read these great news every update while at the same time seeing our shipment date getting further and further away…

Could I at least have a guarantee that this date is final?

Kind Regards

8 Likes

Hmm. Price cut, eh? That tells me that Glowforge is having trouble moving the units at “full price”.

That’s not surprising, since at this point Glowforge is legendary for not meeting commitments, replacing then with new ones it obviously can’t meet either, not telling anybody until the last second, and giving irrelevant excuses for all of the above. I wouldn’t recommend that anybody buy anything from Glowforge at any price. And I’m very sure I’m not alone in that.

The interesting question, now that the company has to actually sell stuff on the open market, to non-captive customers, at profitable prices, is whether the company can fix itself and pull out of the reputational hole it’s dug, . If so, it’ll demand quite a culture shift and probably an executive shakeup. Up 'til now Glowforge decision makers have been amply rewarded for bad behavior and I doubt they see a reason to change.

I’ll be annoyed if the company crashes and my device turns into a brick six months after I get it. And it’ll be really hard on any small business that’s become dependent on it… the few that have managed to survive this long.

4 Likes

It looks like there might be different regulatory hurdles that have to be overcome for certain countries, and the latest delays for some people have to do with those.

As soon as each is overcome, shipping starts immediately to that country. So international deliveries have started in those countries that have accepted the machines.

All i can say is, as soon as the holdup is cleared, those dates might jump back the other way - the date estimates are generated by a program that takes all considerations into account, and they give priority to those who ordered first, as long as they have clearance to ship to a certain country.

I hope they get it accepted soon, so you can get your machine before June. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice :stuck_out_tongue: Got the shipping info for the proofgrade material yesterday. You keep your promises :smile:

I am curious about the price cut, too. It seems like an odd decision to cut the price right as you move out of pre-order, when I would expect you’d raise the price. Because why would people preordering pay more than customers not waiting?

But I dont think its necessarily a sign that a company is in trouble, and I think assuming they cant sell units at the current price is maybe a faulty assumptions. Maybe they cant sell as many units as they want at that price, but that’s not the same thing at all. It could very well be that they expect to make more money by selling more units at a pricing sweet spot. Or that they make more money over the long run by getting proofgrade and catalogue customers, exactly like some digital cutting machines and regular old printers . If I were making good money off those things, I would absolutely want as many potential customers as possible.

All that said, I dont believe for a second that the preorder delays will have much impact at all on retail customer decisions. Joe Random could not care less about the years someone else waited for theirs. He wants to know a) if the product is any good and b) when he will get his. If he thinks the product is amazing and he will get it in two weeks, why does he care that it took 2+ years to get that point?

2 Likes
5 Likes

Look at all the cuts of unicorn you get :crazy_face:

9 Likes

UPDATE: I got my Golden Ticket and completed the follow through. My only difficulty is with UPSMyChoice who says they will not deliver to my college. Sigh. Thank you for all the comments. You were very kind and supportive.

2 Likes