Discussion of September Announcement

Any hero worship I felt for the GF team died during the two year delay and the PR disasters during the wait. They’re just people like anyone, and I predict their $50/mo is going to be a huge flop. Then again, I’m just people like anyone.

Indeed! We’re continuously discussing and learning from the feedback that we’re getting. And we still have lots to learn as our original launch discount will expire, as we add new features and designs, etc.

I should note that, as you might expect, big public forums tend to attract a small percentage with of folks with strong opinions, and don’t represent the entirety of our customer base. Our surveys, email inbox, and other communications channels help us paint a fuller picture.

Indeed, we’re just folks like anyone else. We make our share of mistakes and try to learn from them as quickly as we can.

11 Likes

I kinda think the same applies to YOUR numbers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

We all have our own perspective, the lens we see our world through. That focus is a result of our life’s experience, which makes it distinctly individual. Because I don’t agree with someone’s or they with mine doesn’t invalidate either one. Difficult not to argue with someone trying to do so, but let’s all try to be a bit more understanding that others see the world differently from their own perspective.

Personally, I wouldn’t describe the product as “shitty”, but that’s through my own lens. In my view the glowforge is one of the most capable specialized tools I own, but my experience with it has been practically flawless.

I have no idea what the future plans for the premium package is, but an announced price of $50 to discount against strikes me as far off the mark, and right next to an insult to my intelligence.
It’s really no different from "Get $1500 cash back on this truck!" (it’s your own money) or any other routine marketing ploy, like the clock in the corner of the advertisement counting down your diminishing opportunity.

I’m going to sign up and ride with the discount until I don’t see the value in the option.
(Wait… I need to refill my popcorn)

7 Likes

Dan posted somewhere that the average number of prints per owner per day is two.

1 Like

June was a million prints. A little over 33,000 per day; 2 prints per day indicates 16.5k machines.

However, back to @chris1’s example above. He’s not trying to guess what the costs are to Glowforge. He has no idea - and he said that. It was simply illustrative of how processing adds up - and seemingly adds up at a rate greater than the faster processing makes up for (not a 1:1 scale from slow processing to fast processing, thus quashing the faster processing ultimately costs less because it’s less processing time).

2 Likes

to be fair, a sheet of 50 ear savers is one print. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I should have quoted further down rather than what appeared in the link preview, where he mentioned a million prints, not just a million ear savers. On the phone so it’s not as easy to quote from other threads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The 2 per day stat was a recent post over something like the previous week, not from his announcement back in June.

Then don’t pay for the subscription. It will still work exactly the same as it did the last time you turned it on.

12 Likes

It doesn’t.

And there is a significant used market for these. Not sure if you are only willing to do local, or asking too much, or what, but people seem to have no problems selling them.

No, you don’t.

7 Likes

but slower.

you might want to read the entire sentence before that one.

No. Not slower. It will run FASTER if you haven’t turned it on in months, than the last time you turned it on because they doubled the speed recently for non premium people.

I have a corvette. Fast car. Faster than the last car I owned. They have a FASTER corvette too. But you know what? I’m not forced to buy it if I don’t want to. Nor am I an entitled little {censored} who thinks I deserve it and that they should give it to me for free either.

If you don’t want the subscription, you will run just as well as you always have or better as they continue to upgrade the free service as well. If you want even more bells and whistles… pay for it.

4 Likes

Nope. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It won’t let me upgrade for some reason. A drop down pops up but is too quick for me to read it properly. My subscription # looks like 1-my area code- and 6 digits. Not my phone # and has a red bar on the left of it. Not sure what’s up.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Seriously, where are you getting this from???

Facts:

Nobody is losing anything…
Basic has not slowed down.
Basic still has 100% of the functions it had 6 months ago (and many more than 3 years ago).

Premium is an optional service…
No one is forcing you to subscribe.
If you are reading this in early October, your price is currently $15/mo, NOT $50!
If you don’t want/need the additional features, don’t subscribe. Nobody will be offended.

13 Likes

Hmm. Someone is doing a lot of printing. I’ve done far more testing of the new features than prints for myself since the pandemic hit. Have printed maybe 30 parts for my projects in 7 months (and zero paid or free catalog designs). When I need it the GF is as useful as my CNC or router but all three are just tools to me.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that! Please shoot a note to support@glowforge.com and they can get you set.

1 Like

I just wish they would ship PG materials to my country (Australia). We can’t get anything here, even spare parts.