Discussion of September Announcement

okay, apologies. You do have a lovely daughter.

Do you understand that you are not losing anything by the extra subscription service?

And that if you choose to subscribe…it will only be $15/month for you?

I have to say for the price of the machines and the way they run it isnt worth anything over $20 extra a month. I really expected for the price of the machine the software would be up to date. I can design better in Silhouette studio and paid a one time fee of $60 for that. I am also a photographer and pay less than what you are wanting for all of Adobe software. If you are going to charge $50 for something it should do a heck of a lot more than just get other peoples work and some fonts that I can get commercial license off of Silhouette for pennies. To me it is more important to have a machine that dosnt have weekly issues. If I had it all to do again I sure would go with another machine all together. Fix what needs to be fixed and then maybe you would have happy customers that would be happy to give you more money on top of the thousands of hard earned dollars we have already spent!

6 Likes

anywho…

Yeah I hope they look into me because I just tagged them in Facebook and Instagram.

I’m really upset !!! I can’t wait to get me another machine.

The reason I’m upset is because of the fast lane and also because the other day out glowforge crash don’t you remember … I’m mad they can’t even provide a good service and now they want to charge

1 Like

-.- seriously :unamused: Jules is more then that … is them slowing us down … they are just being greedy

Yours is not going to get slower. It is faster. Not slower.

@dan Have you considered a ‘Hobbyist’ level pricing.

I can assure you that I will not pay $15 let alone $50 / mo for a set of features of which 90% have no value to me.

I would, however, pay a small amount to keep the in-GUI text and basic shapes ability. But the other ‘features’ have no value to me.

Perhaps an a la carte pricing option would be better than the staggering $50 msrp?

14 Likes

redacted.

1 Like

Happy cake day @rpegg

2 Likes

No, I honestly thought it was a bot. (We do get them here.)

I’m here voluntarily to answer any questions for people who are not familiar with the plan, who would like to learn more. I am not here to scare anyone into signing up for it. Each person needs to decide whether they want to use it or not.

But people also need to understand that its’ not the end of the world, it’s not unfair, and it’s not going to make your machines go any slower. That is incorrect.

Keeping that in mind, decide for yourselves if you want to use it or not, at 15$/month. It is an optional subscription. Glowforge believes that it is going to be popular enough with enough people to pay for itself. But you don’t have to sign up for it if you don’t want it. And you have until the end of the month to decide.

That’s it.

5 Likes

I have not read this, do you have a reference?

I pay for 200Mbps/10Mbps internet… COX just came out with 1Gbps/30Mbps for like $10/mo more. You’re saying since I have the opportunity to get a faster speed my current speed got much slower?

9 Likes

:scissors: :scissors:

Are there any working happening for a folder/organization system for designs uploaded to the GFUI? It is very cumbersome to scroll through all my files. I do work for several clients. I would be fabulous if I could sort them all into their own folder. At the very least a search feature would be nice.

7 Likes

My perspective? (I don’t ask you to share it)
TLDR: Bad form?

Kind of disappointed. I will admit that some of my disillusionment with GF is my own fault. I pondered and struggled for months, both thinking about it, and until I could eke it enough money to buy it. I really did try to research before buying, but there are hundreds of thousands of posts, maybe millions, to wade through to find out anything. It takes a couple of minutes to even find out the actual max printable area, even if you know what terms to search. My main concern was, would I be able to use it at all, given I only have my cell phone as a hotspot for internet at my home. So I missed things like “Don’t waste the extra $1000 for a filter that will cost you an extra $250 every month to use” Or “The extra $2000 you plan to spend is for a beta function, but hey, you can run the machine at a couple degrees hotter location”. Or “GoodLuck cleaning this baby “ or “ Yes, we have support. But it is kinda like Prodigy in the early 90s… You ask your question and someone should respond in a day or two.” But now, this has me thinking of video game subscription models. Yes, we get what we agreed to, but once you implement a tiered structure (fast/original) then every dollar spent on upgrades, maintenance, services, whatever, is going to be spent on that premium package. So eventually, even if there is no degradation, there is no benefit to the slow tier, ever. And if the pass through never gets out of beta, and a better option for doing it goes premium, then we lose. And if there are problems on original and problems on premium, then the premium support will be finished first and the rest of us can sit around waiting for our prints to load until the rich kids get to eat. their pie first. Example, Diablo and World of Warcraft. Both are same company. WoW is premium, D3 is free (purchase price only). And Blizz spends way way way more on upkeep, functionality, and upgrades to WoW and next to nothing on D3. May not be the best analogy, but that is what it feels like. And springing it with only 30 days to decide, especially when details aren’t full on portions of the premium package just seems, if not shady, at least uncaring. Maybe they’ll care about me if I pay them every month.

11 Likes

I agree with you

We have not heard anything about one, but that has been on the wish list for a long time. Maybe one day we’ll get one …but not right now.

1 Like

An alternate perspective:

Glowforge was released with a really basic feature set. If you’re fairly new, maybe you don’t know that. Some of us have been arguing for years that they ought to make design tools part of the interface, but there was no sign of that being in the cards. Others argued just as strongly that we should think of the GF software as a print driver, nothing more. Do all your design in Inkscape and all you get from Glowforge is upload, position, and print. Anything else would be confusion and clutter.

They never owed us any more than the initial feature set promised at launch. The biggest thing missing was Pro Passthrough, and once that’s done they could stop.

The company made a strategic decision to not stop, and instead invest in developing a set of additional optional features on top of what was a basic print driver. They decided the best way to do that is to fund it through subscriptions. They could have chosen not to do it at all and this topic wouldn’t be here and nobody would be screaming their heads off.

Think about that. It makes no sense to get upset over an optional add-on merely being available. You are no worse off because of it than you would be if it didn’t exist. All of our machines still have the upload, position, and print functionality they always had. Set focus was added. Camera calibration was added. Faster print speeds and faster processing. Now export. All of these things have been added to the free service over time. Likely more will come. I see no sense in accusing this company of nefarious ulterior motives. Where’s the evidence? They’ve been up front about this the whole time. We’re promised Print will continue to be free. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, but I see no evidence of bad faith, nor does it make any business sense to me for that to ever change.

24 Likes

Ok, enough. That’s simply a lie.

15 Likes

Canadian user here. Just wondering if the price quoted is in US dollars. To us that makes about a 33% difference at today’s exchange rate so, close to $20/month with the discount.

If you are here you can get that discount.

6 Likes