Discussion of the August 2017 update

What I heard is different. The current (second) batch is pushed back a month, but the first batch isn’t.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/208442

the email I got from Shaper said everything is been pushed back a month due to problems with their version of the pru. Nothing major, just enough to bump it back a month.

1 Like

You type good points.

You(me and everyone else who look at the forums) have also been here long enough to know better. Hope typing it made you feel better because it’s been typed at least once a month(once every half hour for a week after each delay) and it is unchanged.

1 Like

I hate to be the one to say it, but according to GF own definitions, “shipped” simply means that the initial email has been sent.

The banner up top says “We’re scheduled to ship all orders placed before Oct 25, 2015 by October 31, 2017”, it does not say Delivered by October 31st. So add 6 weeks to that for the latest delivery (outside of waiting for filters) should be mid-December, just in time for Christmas.

Everyone saying that they are expecting their email in September at the latest, please note that GF has a different definition of Shipped, and the “latest” you should expect to get your initial email is end of October. I truly hope that does not end up being the case, but we have to manage expectations.

6 Likes

Yeah, this amounts to the semantic games/spin doctoring that many companies do. I was once with a company working on a major piece of software, with a promised ship date in December. They boxed up a blank tape and sent it, made a big press announcement for Wall Street, and had a party to celebrate the shipment. When the recipient said they couldn’t read the tape, they responded that there must have been an error cutting the tape, and they would resend after the holidays when people were back from vacation (thus giving themselves another month of development/testing time). Needless to say I didn’t stay with that company much longer. “Ship” means the actual finished product has left the factory on the way to it’s destination. No reasonable person would interpret sending an email as shipping a product.

9 Likes

I’m hoping with everyone else for the best. In Dan’s own words:

Their intention is certainly to deliver (at least boxes on trucks, or boxes in houses at best) by that date. But from the definition of shipping that the company seems to be going by is shipped = initial email sent (consider reading the saga about the successful shipping of the first Pro by the end of June. He just received his unit recently).

4 Likes

This is what I thought as well. I think defining “Shipped” or “Shipping” as having sent an email to customers asking if they want their glowforge sometime in the next 6 weeks is utterly ridiculous. Nevertheless, I think they are planning on getting the emails out by the specified deadline. That way they were all “shipped” in time.

It is frustrating to see people that have listed their order dates after mine already receive shipping notice emails for their pro units.

I check my spam folder constantly so I am not sure what is up… and I have no way to know if an email was sent to me and I missed it or not.

B-/

3 Likes

You can always email Support and ask.

2 Likes

Not sure where you got your info on the company’s definition of “shipped”, as @dan seems to be refuting that in this reply.

Mmm. True, I should try that although I have pretty non-existent expectations for support to reply to my email with how totally quiet glowforge seems about this topic in general. B-/

Sending email. Hopefully some sort of response will come sooner rather than three months from now.

This has been discussed many times. I’m not finding an “official” statement, but you can put a number of things together that strongly support that shipping = initial acceptance letter.

For instance, GF promised that Pros would start shipping by the end of June. To the Forums knowledge there was only ONE email that went out before the end of June (June 30th), in this thread:

At the same time, GF declared successful delivery of the first Pro in June. The Pro customer just got his Pro right at the promised 6 week time period (I think to the very day).

2 Likes

Great job! Getting so close! Excited for the Fall!!!

Actually Dan did make an official statement that shipping equals email to them back when the first prod unit emails went out. His rationale was that’s what started their internal processes that result in a GF sitting in your house.

His latest clarification on the schedule was that they are doing everything they can to deliver by the end of October and November. It was both an extension of the schedule commitment from ship to deliver. But at the same time caveated it with the “doing our best” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

still … not, here.

8 Likes

That sounds like the initial release of the Oracle Database!

1 Like

Again, I’m prepared for whatever at this point. That said, I have no reason to believe there wont be another delay and every reason to believe there will be. It would be really nice if @dan would provide some metrics surrounding what percentage of the pre orders have already been shipped. That would at least calm some of the unrest. I don’t really mind delays. I was aware of the terms when I purchased. I get more upset about communications that are needlessly positive. For example, updates from last Fall leading up to some of the first delays. The updates were still consistently hopeful up until they weren’t. Surely everyone at Glowforge knew they were nowhere close to shipping at that point considering we are a year later and still on the fence about if they’ll make their timeline for 2017.

11/23/15 - It was delayed until the first half of 16
4/19/16 - it was delayed until 12/16
12/2/16 - it was delayed until 7/31/17
6/7/17 - it was delayed until 10/31/17

So, if I were a betting man, (and based on the lack of metrics being provided) I’d bet that somewhere in that 9/15ish update we will be learning that some of us wont be getting units until 3/31/18ish. Call me crazy, but I’m a big supporter of the idea that the best way to predict the future is to know the past. Please just provide some real metrics so that I know when to expect my unit rather than just when I should expect another delay.

9 Likes

Actually, I was asking for a distinction between the observed “shipping” versus actually being delivered. Tom seems to be answering my question about whether we should just expect the observed shipping, by most people here on the forum, which as I detailed out, an email sent by Oct 31st, with delivery time several weeks after that or actually delivered and in our hands by Oct 31st. I’m sorry if that was not clear. Tom seems to have answered that they are working to have them delivered by that date, Oct 31st. With another observed delivery time since this question was asked of six weeks to Texas, see the delivery date of ProForgeOne to Texas I extrapolated that Sept 19th is the six week point to Oct 31st.

I asked for confirmation on this point. Never got any.

I apologize - what was the unanswered question?