Discussion of the September 2017 update (OLD)

My apologies, a ‘weekly update’ is, to my understanding, different from a ‘weekly update to this status post’. The former being new content, the latter being an update to old content. Now I understand what you’re asking about.

We have updated it every week (sometimes more often).

5 Likes

How is that difficult to grasp? Weekly update should mean updating once per week. That freaks me out even more. In the last two calendar weeks, there has been no update (I’ve only seen day 9 basic, day 1 pro).

If it’s a case of you guys updating the status more than once a week, but there has been zero progress, that is even more worrisome. I am growing increasingly concerned that Glowforge may be on the brink of failure or collapse, and even if we’re able to get the unit we ordered nearly 2 years go there won’t be an ongoing concern to support it or maintain the servers.

After 10+ weeks you’re 9 days basic 1 day pro into shipping pre-orders. There are now 41 days to ship 52 days of basic and 60 more days worth of pre-orders… how can you possibly hope to hit that goal based on performance to date?

2 Likes

Glowforge team has been updating the status just fine. They were very specific about the format in which they would update.

“From here forward, we’ll regularly share our shipping progress like this:
US Basic orders: Shipping orders placed on Day 4
US Pro orders: Shipping orders placed on Day 1
International orders: Starting soon
We’ll update this status1.7k every week so you can keep an eye on when your turn is coming up.”

They have done this.

I understand that we couldn’t expect complete fulfillment based upon present progress. However, the Glowforge team continues to display confidence in their ability to do so. I don’t expect fulfillment to continue at the same pace, but instead share the opinion if those predicting an imminent increase in production.

Of course, we’re all entitled to sharing our personal opinions and feelings, whether they are frustration and doubt, nonchalance and flexibility, or optimism and possibility.

7 Likes

All we’re saying is that they’ve been on day 9 for almost 2 weeks now… so either it wasn’t updated, which I doubt because I ordered on day 10 and still haven’t gotten my email… or there is some kind of issue or hold up that is not allowing them to move past day 9 right now.

1 Like

As they have said multiple times, they have shifted to prioritize catching Pros up to Basics. It seems they don’t want to start the process on any more Basics until the Pros are also on Day 9. That seems fair.

2 Likes

seems like some of this could be alleviated by adding a last updated date to the banner.

According to discourse the post that becomes the banner was last updated Sep 7th

hover over the pencil icon

In glowforge parlance that would probably mean there is no change from currently shipping Day 1 and Day 9. Could be lots of reasons for it and I won’t speculate or declare end of the world that’s for you conspiracy theorists. I was an early day 1 order and just don’t have the sense of urgency y’all do for obvious reasons.

4 Likes

It is today, September 19, exactly six weeks from October 31. In the next 24 hours I am expecting THE email from Glowforge telling me my machine will arrive by the end of next month. I placed my order near the end of the 30 day campaign, 10-21-15. I have not participated in this forum much because I’m an introverted 75 year old woman who did not grow up using public forums. (I never even posted things on analog bulletin boards.) So I don’t expect any perks from participation. But according to Dan’s posts of the past few months my notification should be imminent. I am looking forward to it.

8 Likes

I wonder if this dry spell of emails is leading up to a “we shipped* 700 Glowforges today” announcement. Any email that isn’t sent today can be added to the list of emails that will make an announcement like that possible. Later, if all 700 of those Glowforges are shipped**, another announcement can then be made to celebrate that feat and would also be truthful-ish. The unspoken footnote of “there was a solid month prior to this where little, if any, shipping occurred” would probably be ignored by many and eventually forgotten by most.

*emails being sent
**see English dictionary

4 Likes

Well if that were the case… then I guess I’m just lucky or whatever the hold up was must be over with or @dan maybe pushed me through, but I got my golden ticket (email) this morning and I couldn’t be happier!

Again, I ordered on day 10 so maybe that shipping day status to change soon.

11 Likes

I’m a Pro day 2, and I’ll be so mad if I don’t get my Glowforge before the rapture (I heard there’s supposed to be another one this Saturday. It might stick this time, because if I were an omnipotent being, I’d be pissed at humans right now.) It’s not going to help with the end of the world, but I’d just like to be happily playing with my laser when the demons come knocking.

9 Likes

The good news is it’s supposed to be a “soft rapture” - not a big bang end of world event, more of a beginning of the decline (which some might argue already started long ago :slight_smile: ). We should have plenty of time to play with our Glowforges.

9 Likes

Oh good. It’ll be nice to work on some heathen crafts in peace for a while.

11 Likes

The Rapture happens this Saturday, but they define “happens” as sending an email, so it’s nothing you really need to worry about for another 6 weeks or so.

26 Likes

I had an instantaneous idea on a timeframe for this, but since we don’t ‘do’ politics on here, I will refrain.
:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :grimacing:

5 Likes

That’s probably the best GF forum comment of all time.

3 Likes

I’m actually expecting another rapture delay.

“We are very sorry to have to delay the rapture again. I know you’re disappointed. I am also. Two years ago, I promised you rapture. We’ve made a lot of progress on that rapture. We have functional demons, and horsemen, and all of that good stuff. But due to some changes in weather and general lack of malaise, we need another few months. We want to make sure that the rapture is everything you’re hoping it will be and more. So, we’re shooting for a full blown Christmas rapture.”

19 Likes

THAT is great! I literally LOL’d

1 Like

So If I am reading the dates right, on what the say is being shipped as of today there is no way they will have the campaign orders shipped by the end of October.

Am look at it right, that they are on day 9 of orders for the basic and day 1 of the pro?

I apologize for any confusion - that is incorrect. I think you might be taking reports of “up to six weeks for delivery” as “definitely will take six weeks for delivery”.

As of the last time that was updated, yes. (We usually update it once a week, if not more often).

2 Likes

So from now on they will all take less than 39 days? Will the emails still say six weeks.

1 Like