Discussion of the September 2017 update (OLD)

Yes, it’s true.
I am able to see it 2 seconds but it’s not easy.
I keep the link of this topic in my favourits … until October update :wink:

1 Like

I’m sorry we didn’t get back to you within 3 business days - please forward me the email (to danshapiro@glowforge.com) that didn’t get a reply and I will personally look into it.

4 Likes

Attempting to create an accurate projection based on a few data scraped together from the miniscule sample of emails and received shipments available to us is IMO an exercise in frustration. You can’t solve a puzzle without all of the pieces, so speculation on the missing pieces is what we are left with.
Assigning an absolute value to the phantom pieces offers me no proof one way or the other.

I have been on this ride with you all for two years now, and beating on the door within the last mile demanding to know ‘Are we there yet?’ is just a reflection of the building acute anticipation. We are almost there.
Again, just my opinion.

4 Likes

I really think that this puzzle has been created for CA and US people only.
Two many interrogations for european people, 1000$ for delivering and no news.
What about support ? Éven during warranty, we have to paid for replacement. It’s a bigger risk for me. And the lack of transparence month After month is a proof that this project is better for USA…

1 Like

Man, I can’t imagine what an international customer feels. That shipping cost alone would have blown me out of the water!

3 Likes

You can also bookmark the banner post itself:

3 Likes

In all honesty, I took 1 year to weigh the pros and cons (and collect the necessary amount too). And the last delivery schedule seemed serious, precise and reliable.
But for 15 days, no news, it does not move and it does not foretell good. With all the criteria that concern me (pro model, Europe, order in June 2017) I think this magnificent project is not suitable for me. At least, in the coming year.

1 Like

Dan,

One ask… i think you mentioned the banner would be updated weekly. can i ask that you maintain a weekly update and add a last updated date on the banner. so far it looks like nothing is moving. To be honest i have serious doubts you will make the Nov date for all of them. I am looking forward to more open communication and honest feedback. I would even go as far as asking for you to tell us in terms of percentages of how many orders have been notified of shipping and physically shipped. i dont care about actual numbers i understand you need to keep them hidden but if you can not tell me in terms of percentages i am starting to loose faith. I want the GF and i want the GF to work. but at this point i may have to go and buy a cheapo China laser to satisfy business needs. We need continued factual transparency so we can plan and anticipate.

1 Like

Suggestion for a GF Meet up and Collect

Dan, if some of the issues are with actual shipping as some of the posts and other sources might suggest. How about we have a GF meet up and pick up event direct from the factory. Imagine hosting a GF make fair lite sort of deal with also the ability to pick up the GF direct from the factory. I am sure that many on here would make the small trip (50 miles for me) or even the longer trip cross country to get our hands on these. What are your thoughts about this. Surely Flex has to understand they are not delivering at the required pace and so have part of the issue here. I think that would be a win win situation. Think of it as the Apple launch day for GF… Come on you know you want to say yes to this. And just imagine what logistical issues you would avoid with this if people could drive up pick up and go.

2 Likes

Yeah, for me it is not about the money, it is a fascinating machine and the cost is not a burden for me.

However as an International there are so many other aspects to consider.

For instance. None of us have even seen a Glowforge, which is something the USA clients take for granted (not in a bad way). There is no option for us to take a quick trip to a MakerFaire or your mate’s house to see what her 'forge is like. Most of us are still riding on the fumes of those American PRU and current Owner’s reports of what it can (and cannot do). For us those limits are much more important than the positives because…

The Shipping/Return cost is exorbitant. I turned from a patient cheerleader into concerned and suspicious at the time of the tube replacement saga because it made buying a 'forge a blatantly suicidal move if you were International. The outrage at the time was most heavily from the OS-buyer market.
This is also why we tend to greater concern over malfunctions/delivery problems. Even if Glowforge do the right thing and replace a defective units with no shipping cost, there is still a time-cost dependent on their shipping solution.

I would say in general we Internationals (especially Europeans and Aussies) tend to be glass-half-empty. It is a part of our collective psyche. My experience of the USA is that it tends to glass-half-full (it is in fact one of the reasons i chose not to live there, i found the disconnect too disconcerting).
When you couple this with the massive shipping cost, lack of exposure to actual units and limited information i think it makes it clear why the strongest dissenting voices are mostly non-US.

9 Likes

:rofl: Oh man, I can appreciate that. It wasn’t so long ago that I don’t remember what that felt like… for two years.
I guess a positive is international customers wait through the growing pains of shipping.

That’s not been my experience, a good measure of people I have met hold a skeptics view, and a distrust of the future. (of course depending on your political persuasion, possibly more so now :grin:)

Man, for that kind of money seems like it wouldn’t be far off of buying a ticket and coming to pick it up!

Very much my state of mind now.

If politics are going to get involved then the equation changes to ‘glass-half-crazy’
There is an old saying (Ancient Greek i have been told):
The man too intelligent to get into Politics is fated to be ruled by the man who is not

This is doubly-so for me: fated to be fascinated by it (i get to watch Australian Parliament every day) but unable to participate (Zen Monks are forbidden to be involved in politics - and rightly so)

7 Likes

Very good. Reminds me of another - The man who doesn’t read has no advantage over the man who can’t. … or something like that. My memory mangles them over the years.

4 Likes

Dude, I only live north of the US and I’m concerned. I know what you mean. Not as bad in the pocketbook, mind you… but even Canadians have experience getting screwed by American companies who don’t have a Canadian presence.

There’s been a bunch of things that have given me pause about cancelling over the last two years: CO2 tube replacement, possible latent damage not immediately uncovered after shipping (not covered by warranty), cooling difficulties in the Basic, “proprietous” choices (the arbitrary speed setting with no real world reference), the current state of the GFUI compared to the release video…

Honestly, if it wasn’t for the ability to get a full refund before shipment, I don’t know if I’d have had the nerve to stick with it all these months.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that comment is funny because of the irony. The fact remains that the actual GF provided schedule appears to be equally based on conjecture.

1 Like

I think I would have cancelled if I were an international order. Giving up the discount would have been hard to do, but I’m not much of a gambling man. It think I would have waited to see how international shipments go, or waited until Glowforge had a Euro repair center up and running. I would hope they have plans for Authorized repair centers around the globe (in the US too!)

I want you to have the best laser for your needs. I appreciate the feedback; if anything changes in terms of what we share, we’ll post here. Regardless, if you find that you need a refund so you can buy another product, let us know and we’ll take care of you right away, with my profound apologies for making you wait.

Unfortunately this would only create delay, as a small local effort like this would distract efforts from the processes that are designed to deliver many thousands of units across the globe.

3 Likes

Exactly, we talk about business…I try to be patient but i need a solution this year, not in 2018…maybe…

I’m sorry to be negative May but we’ll never receive our GF in 2017.

I think so, unfortunately…

Where I am very disappointed is that I contacted the support the day before my order.
And I have been assured that the deadlines will not move (again). The day after my order, delay deferred by 3 months, they already knew and did not say anything.
I replied again and no response at all, never.

Embarking on a very ambitious project is one thing. Staying transparent is something else.

in August, the schedule was very transparent and now again, no news … until the october updates.
Which will surely announce a new delay :frowning:

3 Likes