Dispatches from the front (Pre-Release Report) @rubbersoul79 request

Thanks so much for sharing. Great job. My Mom had a larger version of this always sitting next to her chair when I was growing up, but hers had 4 spindle legs screwed to the bottom so it was just the right height for her to reach in. The lid on hers was in 2 pieces and they were hinged on the outside edge. And if I remember correctly it somehow had handles like an old fashioned picnic basket so that when it was closed and latched she could move it to another room if she wanted. This is definitely going on my must make list. Thanks again.

6 Likes

Oh wow the ideas are flowing!

2 Likes

Super cool project!! I’ll be making one of these for myself some day

2 Likes

LOVE it!

The only updates I would try would be a carrying handle and a locking mechanism so you can easily transport it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed project notes and pics! Great job!

1 Like

A couple of hook latches one on each side of the lid with one for each of the two small boxes would give you the latches. The two holes in the lid could be used as a carry handle then.

Or don’t cut the finger holes and put a more traditional handle on the top lid. That will mean you can’t stack them though.

3 Likes

That is so friggen amazing

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: this is amazing, thank you so much for the write-up and sharing!

1 Like

Stacking seems a good option to me. I may want to make more than one of these, as well as making drawer dividers.

2 Likes

Never heard of these before and I got the joke immediately! Hope you don’t mind me stealing that phrase. Love it!

Also, what a great tutorial. Clear. Detailed. And what I loved the most, concise! Nice work!!

3 Likes

That’s the only way I can honestly admit to liking vegetables :slightly_smiling_face: If it weren’t for the cool rubber bands they’d be of no interest to me whatsoever.

6 Likes

Sweet, I have some asparagus clamps already stashed in my kitchen junk drawer! :joy:

Thanks for editing this super useful box pattern for the rest of us!

3 Likes

I got a reply from the original designer on the remix that I posted that he had fixed the original and was going to upload an update too but I haven’t seen it so I’m sticking with mine :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

This is an amazingly awesome write up @jamesdhatch! I have been away from the forum way longer than I realized, so I am just seeing it. You should write some stuff for Instructables!

I pinned Makeabox.io and learned a lot about Chicago screws HA and want to use them in a project now. I sound much like a cross between you and your wife as I would be making the box, but also never manage to keep a hold of my sewing needle and it is often found by my arse and a few curse words in my chair. You can buy her one of those mirror magnet bracelets (I know that isn’t what they are called. LOL) from Harbor Freight … I wear it any time I work to hold everything from screws to needles and my scissors are attached to me via badge reel… this is the only way I keep my sanity. :slight_smile: OOOOH that could be a good addition to the top or side… a place to slide in sewing scissors that you can take in and out without having to open it. :slight_smile:

I can’t tell you how happy I will be when I finally have a laser at home. I haven’t had a chance to drive up and work on the Makerspace one in 2 months and I have SO MANY THINGS I want to make.

4 Likes

I glued a silver dollar sized neodymium magnet inside the top left corner of the lid. If she drops the needle or her scissors anywhere on the left side of the lid when the box is closed the magnet pulls it right to the corner. No needle or scissors in the butt since she started using it! :grinning:

6 Likes