Dividers for a watch box

I got a vintage machinist chest for my birthday a couple of months ago. i’ve spent time the past couple of months cleaning it up, refinishing, and replacing all the felt. and the next to last thing to do was create a nice set of oak dividers to hold the watch pillows in the top portion of the chest. (the last thing is to reinstall the hinge and the mirror, that’s for later tonight).

set the dividers up on boxes.py, made a couple of cardboard versions to test size and fit for the box and the pillows. used 4mm white oak. tried to match the stain as best i could, but no matter how much red and yellow die powder i added to my stain, i just couldn’t get it as close as i wanted, but most of it you won’t see because of the sides of the box and the pillows, so i’ll live with it. took a rubber contoured sanding group to round the top edges of the tray, then stained and finished with feed’n’wax. et voila.

42 Likes

That turned out really nice. What will you do with the next 20 watches you have yet to acquire?

10 Likes

That’s just awesome, loooove it

11 Likes

thanks.

i need to sell some before i acquire more. a bunch of these i don’t wear much, if at all, any more. i’ve evolved in my taste.

11 Likes

So cool! Beautiful set of watches there (love the Pepsi Rolex)!

8 Likes

thanks!

the pepsi dial is a seiko PADI turtle. just a wee bit less expensive than a rolex GMT master (i haven’t spent $15k+ on a watch).

12 Likes

Oh gotcha. I do have to say that Seiko watches are quite underrated!

9 Likes

they are. i have a couple and my wife has one (a vintage birth year seiko).

i think most people don’t know that seiko probably has the broadest range of watch prices out there. from inexpensive $50 quartz watches to grand seikos for $5-10k.

8 Likes

I got a Grand Seiko for cheap because I thought I could try and repair it but ended up not being able to, but at least it was pretty.

7 Likes

you’re braver than me. i’ve taken the back off a watch before, but i wouldn’t even begin to mess with the movement. i just shell out the $$ for someone else to service.

9 Likes

A titanium Seiko that my wife gave me years ago was my gateway drug into watches. I always thought watches were too heavy until that super light Seiko. I don’t have anything expensive but I have Seiko and Citizen watches with a few others sprinkled in. Currently my favorite daily watch is my only Tissot.

In fact it is the watch I’m wearing today.

12 Likes

yeah, titanium drops a lot of weight off of a watch.

7 Likes

Great use

8 Likes

So classy!!

7 Likes

The dividers look great! The watches look like jewels on display.

7 Likes

thanks. and, well, other than my wedding band, my watches are my only jewelry, so maybe that’s not too inaccurate. and all those movements have tiny jewels in them (little tiny rubies, altho probably mostly synthetic).

7 Likes

I love watches. My $99 Seiko mechanical self-winding watch is to me so much cooler than any kind of smartwatch.

Unfortunately, I just cannot get into the habit of wearing one! Still working on that.

7 Likes

i only take mine off when i shower. i’m one of those strange people who wears his watch to sleep. always have.

7 Likes

Beautifully done! I think I have the same machinist chest, passed down from my grandfather. I don’t think you get that exact colour except with age, but you came darn close! Beautifully done.

Are there fasteners or are the cross pieces half cut so they slot into each other? I’m presuming the latter, but that doesn’t work for the end pieces…

8 Likes

they’re cut in half slots so they match up and slide together. a basic tray box from boxes.py. the two end pieces i made manually, added the fingers to the long pieces and the slots in the ends.

11 Likes