DIY Hours Meter

The idea of an hours meter for the GF has popped up around here a few times, and should be theoretically relatively simple to implement in the GFUI. But who knows when that’ll happen, so in the meantime I hacked together a rough-estimate meter with some cheap parts off eBay. It’s based off a sound-activated relay, which when triggered, delivers 12v to a basic hours meter. The sound trigger sensitivity is adjustable; I was able to tune it so that it turns on when the GF exhaust fan is at high speed, and not when the GF is idle or calibrating. So it provides a fairly approximate measure of laser time. Ideally you’d start this counter when your GF is new, but even if you don’t know lifetime use it can be useful to know intervals for cleaning or other maintenance. Note on the microphone for sensing sound level; originally I had it flush mounted right in the box with the circuitry, but found that the noise of the relay actuating would trigger the sound detection, creating a “loop” whenever the unit was trying to turn off. So I had to move the mic outside the case and just let it dangle next to the GF.

Here are the parts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC10-80V-12v-24V-Generator-Sealed-Hour-Meter-Counter-Hourmeter-Rectangle-3W/331362607103?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_3351a IMG_3349a IMG_3350a IMG_3352a

41 Likes

That’s a cool project!

3 Likes

How cool that you used the GF to make a case for your GF timer! :smile:

3 Likes

Very clever.

1 Like

Great solution to a common question!

1 Like

Now that’s a really innovative solution!

1 Like

Cool project for future.

1 Like

what did you choose to power this little thing? Wall wart? regular batteries?

1 Like

12v DC wall wart, though both the meter and the circuit have a pretty wide input range (10v-30v as I recall).

3 Likes

Nice way to attack the problem without needing to enter the guts of the machine. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another meter I didn’t even know I wanted!

2 Likes

Yeah, this is the third “superfluous hours meter” I’ve set up around my house. It’s pretty useless but somewhat interesting to know I’ve driven my car 244159 miles in 6058 hours.

4 Likes

You are brilliant

Very interesting idea and could measure more than the Glowforge number hours your car has been running would be better than miles between oil changes particularly in long commutes that are always the same miles but the hours could vary widely.

As for Glowforge time there is one source that knows very precisely how much time you have spent with the Glowforge running. The big question is if they saved the data, or tell us if they did.

@dan ? How hard would it be to put the data in a box in the GHUI.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.