DIY Negative Lightbox

An artist friend works and teaches large format wet plate tin type photography in NYC. She fell in love with the Appalachian culture and moved her base nearby to very rural WV. Took this shot of a wet plate still in the developing tray. Our “gang” is a little rough.

10 Likes

They all look musical. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recall, early on in this forum, oh so many eons ago :wink:, when you posted a photo of your group. Perhaps it was this one, after the procedure was completed in getting it developed. Anyway, I love the looks of your group of people. Looks like a lot of fun times together.

4 Likes

That’s amazing!!! Does she have a website or something? I would love to follow her work!!

2 Likes

I hope it’s ok to post this (name was in the file name). Do you use Instagram?

I just followed. Great work.

3 Likes

Perfect!! Thank you!!

1 Like

Cool. Isn’t that you with the standup bass? Ever try a washtub bass? They are surprisingly not as bad as you would think. My husband and I sometimes play backup guitar and autoharp for a 94-year-old master fiddler when she gives lessons, and we go to some of the old-time fiddle music jams where I have seen an interesting variety of instruments.

Sorry for the hijack (at least the 3rd in this thread!); back to the original topic, did you make the film clip out of acrylic as well? I can’t quite tell how that works.

4 Likes

As far as thread-derailings go, this one’s pretty interesting!

I did make the film clip out of acrylic - about 0.03" of space to let the film slide through. If I had been smart I would’ve rounded the edges so that only the edges made contact with the acrylic.

6 Likes

Only because you brought it up. Here are some of my cameras. Including some 8mm and Super 8mm

12 Likes

Still got mine (my dad’s old camera really) stashed in the safe. Sadly it doesn’t get much use anymore…it’s a great little camera.

1 Like

Great collection! Gotta love the old box cameras. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The RZ67 is my go-to when I feel like shooting film, too. The waist level finder, the instant DOF preview, the solid thunk of the shutter, it’s such a viscerally satisfying experience. You’re inspiring me to pull it out again, it’s been a while, especially now that I will soon be able to make my own light box. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a beautiful beast! I’m just ordered some foam (unfortunately not laserable) for re-sealing the film back so hopefully I’ll be able to move on from test shots soon.

3 Likes

wow they are gorgeous!

1 Like

Oh! A negative lightbox. As in, a box-shaped light for negatives.

I’m going to pretend that’s exactly what I was expecting. And not a negative-light box.

4 Likes

Right there with you.

2 Likes

which would otherwise be known as a “dark-box”

5 Likes

I was personally thinking a shadow box type thing

3 Likes

Hmmmmm we are all here wanting to see how the Glowforge works and that it is a real, actual thing… and you have pictures of everything BUT the Glowforge cutting it…Interesting.

2 Likes

They got video now. :slight_smile:

5 Likes